Multirename tool: improvements suggested

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

peterbbrown

Multirename tool: improvements suggested

Post by *peterbbrown »

For this, could there be a "history bar" in the Search&Replace to hold previously entered searches. At the moment, there is only the last search/replace string available.

Also, and I think this has been suggested before, when there are conflicting filenames in part, why not just rename the files that don't conflict: this could be made an option or a default?
There is a product, Flash Renamer, which I use regularly but not as often now that I have found TC, which has a number of these options, including add or delete x number of characters from the front or back end of the file name,
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

I have another wish concerning Multirename Tool - the ability to move files to subfolders, for expamle, with [N1]\[N] in the Name field Multirename tool should move

aaa.ext
bbb.ext
ccc.ext

to

a\aaa.ext
b\bbb.ext
c\ccc.ext
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

There is a product, Flash Renamer, which I use regularly but not as often now that I have found TC, which has a number of these options, including add or delete x number of characters from the front or back end of the file name,

If you want to say that TC can't delete x letters from the beginning or the end of a file name, it can. The template would be [Nx-] for the first task and [N-100-x] for the second, where 100 is a number larger than the length of the longest filename.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
peterbbrown

Post by *peterbbrown »

Thank you both for the information! I guess I didn't read the help file as carefully as I thought, but skimmed the "placeholder" concept, which I now see is central to searching and replacing in file names.
Christian: could you include examples of some of these "placeholder" uses for the new users of your product, as a guide to what could be done?
As it is, it takes an awful lot for granted for the users' ability to decipher these characters.
peterbbrown

Post by *peterbbrown »

Re the file sorting by subfolders, there is an excellent little app that I got from one of my newsgroups some time ago. It's called "filesort v.1.1" by RaGe666 but I can't find a link to it on my google search. I just wrote the author and I hope he replies. If he doesn't reply soon, I could post the file (it's tiny and works so simply): start it, navigate to a folder, type or paste a name that starts files within that folder: it will create a subfolder as you name it and move all files that start with that string to it, and then wait for another to do.