Bad Conflict with Comprexx/Archive XP

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Innuendo

Bad Conflict with Comprexx/Archive XP

Post by *Innuendo »

You can find Comprexx at http://www.comprexx.com & it's written in Delphi 6, I believe.

Right-clicking on an archive and trying to extract with one of Comprexx's archive-extract context menu options causes to Total Commander to hang up and then exit with no error message.

TC won out and I won't be trying Comprexx again till the conflict has been resolved between the two programs.

I've also written Comprexx's author, as well.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Bad Conflict with Comprexx/Archive XP

Post by *djk »

Innuendo wrote:Right-clicking on an archive and trying to extract with one of Comprexx's archive-extract context menu options causes to Total Commander to hang up and then exit with no error message.
Just give it up and use TC Packer plugins ;-)

To be serious, I haven't known the tool before but I downloaded it and installed the trial version on WinXP Pro computer. I've tried to compress and extract files in different formats and... I didn't get any errors.
I've used all extract options and... everything works ok at my computer :-)

New: Unfortunately I've also found a bug. As I wrote above it doesn't crash during compressing and extracting but TC crashes while I browse files and move a coursor of the mouse over the compressed file. :-(
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Writing context menu extensions is quite tricky. If the extension doesn't exactly follow the standard, it may work in some Explorer versions and not others (e.g. on other windows versions), or may crash all other programs than Explorer. Even RAR once had a shell extension which crashed Total Commander and other alternative file managers. After many hours of testing, the RAR author and I found the reason of the problem - a bug in C++ builder!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Christian,

My suspicion is that there's a conflict between Delphi compiler versions he's using and you are using.

But what do I know...it's just a wild-ass guess on my part.

djk,

That's what I did...I went back to just using TC and PowerArchiver for my archiving needs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

My suspicion is that there's a conflict between Delphi compiler versions he's using and you are using.
Should be no problem, because Explorer isn't using Delphi, so Explorer extensions using Delphi need to be completely self-contained.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Then I guess his program just sucks. :)

Seriously, I was hoping it would work as it's one of the only third-party program that allows adding to RAR archives and atting to SIT archives.

Oh well...maybe next version of Comprexx will be better.