Possible bug in lister plugin interface

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdmarch

Possible bug in lister plugin interface

Post by *jdmarch »

There appears to be a bug in the lister plugin interface, or maybe it's just the same bug in both lister plugins which I've tried (HPG_ED and SYNUS).

Normally when a lister window is opened with F3, it is completely non-modal with respect to TC. That is, the user can toggle back to TC and do anything they want. But when these plugins open a configuration dialog box, then the user can switch to TC on the task bar, but TC is totally frozen until one closes the plugin dialog box. This is not obvious because the dialog box is no longer visible.

Jonathan
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

This problem was described (even by me :-) ) during discussion on some plugins.
But as I remember Christian didn't say anything about it but I may be wrong :-(
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

The same behavior you can see in every LS-plugin with it's own configuration dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends how the plugin implements the dialog. When you open a modal dialog, it has its own message queue. Because Lister and Total Commander share the same thread, this message queue needs to handle messages directed to Total Commander too, otherwise Total Commander will freeze!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Perhaps Lister should have its own thread to avoid this interface problem? Superficially, Lister already usually behaves in a way that would make the user assume it already has its own thread.

Jonathan
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It depends how the plugin implements the dialog. When you open a modal dialog, it has its own message queue. Because Lister and Total Commander share the same thread, this message queue needs to handle messages directed to Total Commander too, otherwise Total Commander will freeze!
What method you suggest to implement plugin's configuration dialog?