Bug? Lister often displays graphics as text

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdmarch

Bug? Lister often displays graphics as text

Post by *jdmarch »

I use IrfanView with Lister for graphics. If I press Ctrl+Q, usually a graphic file will display nicely in the other panel. Then if I move the cursor to another JPG file, usually it will display too. But after displaying a few more graphic files, Lister will display all subsequent JPG files as text. It's not about the individual files, but about the order in which I try to display them. Usually the first few work, and the later ones do not work. If I close the Lister panel, select a different file, reopen the Lister panel, and select the problem file, it will often display ok.

The same thing happens when I use Shift-F3 to open multiple graphic files. The first few will display ok, then they will all display as text after that.

Is this a known bug? A configuration issue? A resource conflict?

Thanks,
Jonathan
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Aha! I think that this only happens when an MS Office program is running. I suspect that it occurs because Office interferes with TC passing the image to Iview in the clipboard. Is there any way to work around this? It would not be convenient to exit from office any time I want to display graphic files in TC.

Jonathan
Gingo

Post by *Gingo »

I've had this problem myself for a long time (at least two years, since that's when I wrote to Christian and asked about it), and now that you speak of the clipboard you've given me a lead. I myself use a clipboard manager called Clipomatic (fabulous program BTW) and when I killed it, I didn't have any problems. And since Office has to do some clipboard monitoring as well, this might very well be where the problem lies.

As for workarounds, I just try again, and then maybe again. It usually doesn't take many tries to get the picture to show, and the trouble is less than having to shut down and then restart a program every time you want to watch a picture.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

I find that trying repeatedly does not solve the problem, maybe because Office 2000 is too uncooperative.

But I did find a solution short of shutting down Office : disabling (hiding) the clipboard toolbar in each office application.

Jonathan