Virtual File Lists

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Virtual File Lists

Post by *JohnFredC »

I have been exploring the list of TotalCommander competitors I found in another thread. SpeedCommander has a function that I would like to see more fully implemented in TC: multiple virtual file lists, each one on a tab.

I have installed a couple of the "TempDrive" TC plugins and use them (see below). However, the integration of multiple named virtual file lists with a tabbed interface as SpeedCommander has done, is so powerful I am essentially stunned.

In SpeedCommander, you may create as many named virtual file lists as you like and populate them with any random combination of files you like. A single file may reside in several virtual lists (called "Containers") simultaneously. You may even pass the results (or some of the results) of a Search to a new or existing Container.

SpeedCommander even preserves the contents of each Container tab between sessions!

Wow. This functionality is fully integrated with SpeedCommander, including archiving, copying, selection, etc etc. I have already created several different Containers containing different lists of files to backup.

Virtual file lists allow me to organize my files according to the functions I need to perform on them, not just by disk location.

The TC TempDrive plugins allow folders to be created, each containing arbitrary file lists. In TC you can make favorites of these folders, thus emulating the more formal "Container" approach of SpeedCommander. I expect that in TC 6.0 these "virtual" folders will be possible as tabs as well, so this functionality is already present to certain degree in TC and more is promised.

However, I am hoping for an "Official" implementation of virtual file lists in a future version of TC that fully integrates the lists into the TC world, including all functions, especially search.

It would be nice if a virtual list that had been created from a search could store the search definition with the list and expose a "refresh" function that would reapply the same search (that is, search again) to the list, bringing it up-to-date.

I highly recommend that if you haven't tried one of the TempDrive plugins, do so.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Yeah, I’ve recently tried myself a trial version of SpeedCommander and I can admit I was impressed on how it handles virtual file lists along to a series of other features. It’s not as versatile as TC is in some features but you generally get a sense of power, good configurability and completeness with SC. Not that you don’t get these advantages with TC but SC uses an alternative approach which is quite interesting although similar to TC.

We all know that currently Christian is very busy implementing other features but what I want to wish here is if he could have a look at SpeedCommander (if he hasn’t already done that). There are some strong features that can be a living example for future improvements for TC.

Having mentioned TempDrives here, it would be a nice idea if TC could also include a message box for confirming an exit from the program. You can loose important information some times like this. It would be nice also if TC could trigger what element is active and report that to the user on the message box. Of course we should have a tick box in the configurations to activate/deactivate the confirmation dialog box for those who think it’s annoying (probably the majority of users). But then again who closes TC any way! ;)
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-07-17, 10:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
_sandrider

Post by *_sandrider »

I find it really annoying in TC when there is long filename which cannot be fully displayed and I have to use mouse to display tooltip with full name, and Speed Commander solution is nice - statusbar inside listbox where full filename is displayed.

And second thing is grayed selection in nonfocused list. I dont think it would be difficult to implement this in TC...
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

_sandrider wrote:I find it really annoying in TC when there is long filename which cannot be fully displayed and I have to use mouse to display tooltip with full name...
You can add filename in status bar by adding a parametr to wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
LongInStatus=1
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

What I'd like to see is a kind of cm_ToolTip with which you could see the tooltip via hotkey, or a cm_ToggleAutoToolTip

I agree that TempDrives, Containers or what ever they are called, are a nice thing. If implementet as a PackerPlugin, It could even be searched with the curred version od TC.
For refreching searchresults I would like the possibility to call these results via the Directory-Hotlist (Ctrl-D). Therefor we just need a cm_SavedSearch which gests the name of a stored seachsetting as argument. A call of it had the same effect as:
Alt-F7 -> Load/Save -> Start -> Feed to Listbox
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

What I'd like to see is a kind of cm_ToolTip with which you could see the tooltip via hotkey

I suggested it some time ago and Christian said it was a good idea so we might see it in 6.0 if Christian didn't forget about it.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sergeycentral

Post by *sergeycentral »

...or you could just use "Small Fonts,7" for the file list font like me! 8)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2JohnFredC
I have a question about these "containers": Can they have subdirs, or are all files in the root of the container? The second option would be extremely easy to add, because almost all code is already there (from the search - feed to listbox and branch view functions). So if subfolders aren't needed, I could add this rather easily to TC 6.0.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-07-2003 11:58:23 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> Can they have subdirs, or are all files in the root of the
g> container?

They can.

g> So if subfolders aren't needed, I could add this rather
g> easily to TC 6.0.

You can start from adding it w/o subdirs and increase functionality later. Something almost always better than nothing... %)[/face]
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2Christian:
2JohnFredC
I have a question about these "containers": Can they have subdirs, or are all files in the root of the container? The second option would be extremely easy to add, because almost all code is already there (from the search - feed to listbox and branch view functions). So if subfolders aren't needed, I could add this rather easily to TC 6.0.
In the SpeedCommander implementation, one cannot create a folder in a container. One can drag a folder to a container, but double-clicking opens it in Explorer. So, no, folders in a container don't really work.

But I don't think they need to. Having the ability to group files at random in to "containers" is so powerful...

So, it would be quite acceptable (for me) for the file container functionality in TC to only allow the files in the "Root" of the container (that is, no folders). It would be important that I could populate the "container" at random with files dragged from many locations, though. That would be in addition to "send to container" functionality in the search dialog.

One other point: the container needs to show the standard file columns of size date and attributes as if it was the original file. It also would be great if each container remembered it's own layout: brief, full, comments, etc. (Will tabs remember their filters?)

I hope others agree with me about what is (to me) a really exciting concept in file management. I would make constant use of it for many, many purposes.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-07-2003 15:31:45 +0000 JohnFredC wrote:

J> But I don't think they need to.

I'm not agree with you. For example this way one can make compilation to burn it later on CD. And in most cases my compilations contain directories.

J> One other point: the container needs to show the standard
J> file columns of size date and attributes as if it was the
J> original file.

I hope it goes w/o saying :).

J> I hope others agree with me about what is (to me) a really
J> exciting concept in file management. I would make constant
J> use of it for many, many purposes.

Well, this concept is rather old, though Commander still doesn't have it on a built-in platform. I guess it's time to change this situation :).[/face]
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Well, this concept is rather old
Actually, it is also a completely obvious concept. I just have never seen it implemented in the core functionality of a file manager before. Are there other implementations in addition to SC and the Temp Drive plugins for TC?
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-07-2003 16:10:40 +0000 JohnFredC wrote:

J> Actually, it is also a completely obvious concept.

Definitely it is.

J> I just have never seen it implemented in the core
J> functionality of a file manager before.

Well, it still is a legendary DOS times file manager "DOS Navigator" from RIT Labs. And TC still doesn't have lot of things DN had, including "Temp Drive".

J> Are there other implementations in addition to SC and the
J> Temp Drive plugins for TC?

Actually "Temp Drive" plugin was inspired by DN. Another hardcore OFM - FAR from RARLabs has "Temporary panel" plugin in default distributive.[/face]
jb

Post by *jb »

Black Dog wrote:Well, it still is a legendary DOS times file manager "DOS Navigator" from RIT Labs. And TC still doesn't have lot of things DN had, including "Temp Drive".
Please name a few of these DN things that you miss most in TC.
Black Dog wrote:Actually "Temp Drive" plugin was inspired by DN. Another hardcore OFM - FAR from RARLabs has "Temporary panel" plugin in default distributive.
What means OFM?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Please name a few of these DN things that you miss most in TC.
For instance a history of opened / edited files; the viewer "remembered" its position for later viewing after being closed; a definable "status bar" (the field under the file list) where I had shown 1. current file's properties, 2. selected files' size and 3. all files' size in current dir; a simple "apply this to all" checkbox in overwrite-type dialog boxes... just the ones I can remember right now. (Oh yeah, and the fabulous Starway screensaver.)

What means OFM?
Orthodox File Manager (eg NC-like).

HTH
Roman