Feature Request: Pushing FTP to background thread

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mercade

Feature Request: Pushing FTP to background thread

Post by *Mercade »

Greetings,

With copying or zipping, it is possible to push the main dialog into a background thread. When ftp-ing, this is only possible at the start of the upload or download by checking the separate thread icon. It would be rather helpful if it would become possible to push an ftp action into a separate thread if you're suddenly confronted with a longer up/download than you expected at first.

Thank you for your consideration.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this isn't possible, because an FTP connection handle created in one thread cannot be used in some other thread! What you can do is to set background operations as the default.

Please add the following string to the file wcx_ftp.ini, section [General]:
FtpInBackground=1
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

Thank you for your prompt follow-up. I figured something like this would be the case.

As alternative, wouldn't it be possible to close the ftp connection in the main thread after the transfer of the particular file is done, and then open a new ftp connection in the separate thread? I realise this isn't always possible for all ftp servers, though.

Indeed I could use background ftp by default, but in most cases I prefer to have the ftp executed in the foreground, so I know when it is done.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 21-07-2003 20:56:49 +0000 Mercade wrote:

M> As alternative, wouldn't it be possible to close the ftp
M> connection in the main thread after the transfer of the
M> particular file is done, and then open a new ftp connection
M> in the separate thread?

Though I'd like to have this feature too I think solution you suggested is too complex. Overkill, IMHO.

M> I prefer to have the ftp executed in the foreground, so I
M> know when it is done.

You can customize "Sounds Properties | Total Commander | Transfer Complete" sound for FTP download completion alerting, though Commander play the same one for any BTM operation too. Actually IMHO it would be a good idea to add some more events support there, Christian.
BTW, SC sound theme for TC is available here (look here for MPQ plugin).[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As alternative, wouldn't it be possible to close the ftp connection in the main thread after the transfer of the particular file is done, and then open a new ftp connection in the separate thread? I realise this isn't always possible for all ftp servers, though.
Yes, this would be possible, but it has several disadvantages - at least in my experience:
1. Normally when I need this function, I want to transfer one huge file in background, not several small
2. Some FTP servers are quite hard to get in - disconnecting will of course work, but reconnecting may take a while
3. I could abort the current download and resume in the background, but nor all servers support resume
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jaws

Post by *Jaws »

Well, you still have the possibility to start a second session of TC and work there while the first one up/downloads from the ftp server.