The age before RE in T-Com

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ford prefect

The age before RE in T-Com

Post by *ford prefect »

Now this is not another thread discussing the Regular Expressions... :)

You must excuse my stupidity but I just forgot how to make the selection with an space character.
You now. Like * .* or ??? .txt
I've read the manual, the FAQ on www.ghisler.com, used the SEARCH function in this forum and nothing :(
Maybe I'm just blind. 8)

As far as I can remember there was this BD thread in the old forum about RE (actually about how to make a real DOS name filter) where Valentino mentioned the way how it's done. But I forgot that one :roll:

So please. How should a selection or filter with a space look like...

Also I'd like to know if there are any other tricks how to create some specific selections/filters. (Like that exclusion with pipe symbol described in the manual - |*.exe) So if you are an magician that knows such spell please post it here :)
Don't Panic! We have Total Commander...
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

1. Options | Colors | Define colors by file type | Add | Define.
2. Enter ""* *"" in the Search for field. Quotes are needed to designate that it's one pattern (not two patterns separated with space), but due to TC's bug you need to type two double quotes at the beginning and two double quotes at the end.
3. Save.
4. Enter some name for this color filter (like "Containing space").
5. OK.
6. Select newly created filter from the list box.
7. OK.
8. Choose desired color.
9. OK, OK, OK.

If you want to exclude all exe files, type the following filter: "* *"|*.exe
Now, as you can see, only one double quotes at the beginning and one double quotes at the end :) Seems that Christian should put this in order... :)
ford prefect

Post by *ford prefect »

Well thank you!
I will finaly stop using the Search & Replace for such a simple task like finding files with spaces :P
Valentino wrote:but due to TC's bug you need to type two double quotes at the beginning and two double quotes at the end.
So that's why it was so hard for me to memorize this one :D
Valentino wrote:If you want to exclude all exe files, type the following filter: "* *"|*.exe
Now, as you can see, only one double quotes at the beginning and one double quotes at the end Seems that Christian should put this in order...
I wouldn't call it a bug. It's more a "feature lackness" :wink: :)
But still it's quite interesting that after such a long time of T-Com existence this "tiny" contradiction still lives :?
Maybe it's also the reason why it's not in the manual or is it there???

However some description about making a space selection could be a nice addtion in the Selecting files section of the help for dumies like me :mrgreen:
Don't Panic! We have Total Commander...
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ford prefect wrote:So that's why it was so hard for me to memorize this one
I got at this by editing wincmd.ini manually :)
ford prefect wrote:Maybe it's also the reason why it's not in the manual or is it there???
I haven't seen it in the manual. :)