FTP Slow!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

saaanta

FTP Slow!

Post by *saaanta »

I have started using the FTP interface and I notice one glitch. If I use Ws_FTP I get transfer speeds in excess of 80kb/s. When I use TC I receive only half that, consistently.

Is there something I'm missing?
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

hi,

only an idea: did you check by accident the box"Speed limit" in the Backgrounf-Transfer-Manager-dialaogue"?

If so, please "uncheck" 8)

Greetings,
Cheer up, Karl
saaanta

Post by *saaanta »

Did that...tried it with a check and increased the speed to an extremely high rate and tried it without. Same speed, regardless.

Thanks
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Does it happen with all FTP servers? Because IIRC Christian said something about stupid FTP servers having some wrong setting and WS_FTP circumventing that some way.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, some warftpd versions seem to be very slow when used with TC, don't ask me why. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

It's true that on a few servers, TC is much slower than other programs (SmertFTP for instance).

If someone knows warftpd well, can he help Christian to solve this problem?
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
apanjocko

Post by *apanjocko »

what i've notices that really suck is that sometimes i leave the ftp uploading or download overnite... and when i wake up it's halted somewhere and has not timeouted, resumed or anything... it's just halted and does nothing.

other programs i've used like leectFTP and CuteFTP timeouts and tries again automatically.

and not to talk about the lack of threads. some people don't believe me when i say that increasing the number of connections to a site can increase the download rate as much as 10x with like 15 threads instead of one. i believe it's the ISP configuration but this is not uncommon today.
apanjocko

Post by *apanjocko »

and i mean even when the server has no max upload rate per connection. i don't know why but on my isp it's reproducible every time.

from work to home i get about 150 k/sec for one connection. i easily get over 1 mb / sec with > 10 threads.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC is NOT a download manager! It's an interactive tool for browsing servers, e.g. for uploading a homepage. For huge download jobs, a dedicated download manager is much better suited. Some sites have a per connection download limit, therefore many download managers split the file into pieces and download them all at the same time, which is of course faster in such a case. TC cannot use this approach, because it is connection oriented. Some sites require a connection oriented approach, especially some company servers, or servers with limited accounts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com