better organization/more choices for TC 6.0 config options

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sergeycentral

better organization/more choices for TC 6.0 config options

Post by *sergeycentral »

One of the greatest advantages of TC is its highly customized usability :D. However, over the many additions throughout its versions, the config options dialog has become too cluttered and hard to navigate. I suggest to organize this in the upcoming TC 6.0 :shock:. The tabbed approach has reached its limit. To improve, the new TC should have an options dialog similar to mIRC; :arrow: with a tree-like structure. So, for instance the FS Plugins button wouldn't have to be tightly placed between so many other options, rather under its own branch called "Plugins".

TC's options/choices can still be further extended without much coding. There are many settings now that are available only by manual manipulation of settings files, like the many great options in Tweak TC. It would just be nice to have in one place, at TC. Also, the ability to save color schemes would also be nice. 8)

------sergey-------
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Great suggestion and… a natural suggestion I guess due to the problems you’ve taken the time to describe.

As an extension to what you have suggested here, it would also be nice if we kinda had an expansible configuration system where users can have a dedicated personal section with additional and user definable settings sourced from the ini file. That will eliminate manual editing and it will look more professional. Of course, that should be a future project due to its complexity in comparison with your suggestion of reorganizing the current tabbed configs.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

jb

Re: better organization/more choices for TC 6.0 config optio

Post by *jb »

sergeycentral wrote:To improve, the new TC should have an options dialog ... with a tree-like structure.

TC's options/choices can still be further extended without much coding.
Yes, sounds good! :) I think this occasion would be perfect to reorganize also the .ini files. In particular the .ini files could reflect the tree-like structure. Currently the .ini files have only two levels, namely sections and keys.
See also topic Comments about TCmd's configuration files (INIs).
jb

Post by *jb »

Lefteous wrote:this improvement has already been suggested in the german forum:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=809

if you don't understand german:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?doit=done&urltext=http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=809&lp=de_en
I think this translation of babelfish is useless (full of errors) as in many other cases. :(
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

jb wrote:
Lefteous wrote:this improvement has already been suggested in the german forum:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=809

if you don't understand german:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?doit=done&urltext=http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=809&lp=de_en
I think this translation of babelfish is useless (full of errors) as in many other cases. :(
ok I'll try a quick summary of Mr. Ghislers statements in this topic:
I'm thinking about a new settings implementation similar to mozilla. The number of pages could be increased easily.
Some undocumented settings will not be included.
dagoon

Post by *dagoon »

Lefteous wrote:Some undocumented settings will not be included.
I've heard that "If the code is not worth documenting it probably is not worth running" ;)
Just DO document them :)

regards
mg #68904
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

dagoon wrote:
Lefteous wrote:Some undocumented settings will not be included.
I've heard that "If the code is not worth documenting it probably is not worth running" ;)
Just DO document them :)

regards
I just translated Ghislers statement. As far as i know all settings are documented in the help file (Allow for example), but cannot be configured in the configuration dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

One of the greatest advantages of TC is its highly customized usability icon_biggrin.gif. However, over the many additions throughout its versions, the config options dialog has become too cluttered and hard to navigate. I suggest to organize this in the upcoming TC 6.0 icon_eek.gif.
I have already changed it, TC 6.0 will use a Mozilla-Style configuration dialog. No tree, though, just a list. But still better than with too many tabs...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
One of the greatest advantages of TC is its highly customized usability icon_biggrin.gif. However, over the many additions throughout its versions, the config options dialog has become too cluttered and hard to navigate. I suggest to organize this in the upcoming TC 6.0 icon_eek.gif.
I have already changed it, TC 6.0 will use a Mozilla-Style configuration dialog. No tree, though, just a list. But still better than with too many tabs...
sounds like an opera style configuration dialog. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
TC 6.0 will use a Mozilla-Style configuration dialog. No tree, though, just a list.
A list is much better (faster). Less searching and clicking on the + thingies.

Thanks
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Great! Will you intend to add many more options now that you have more place to do it?
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

fabiochelly wrote:Will you intend to add many more options now that you have more place to do it?
I guess we WILL see a lot of new options due to the increased number of new features of the up-coming v6.0 of TC anyway!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Great! Will you intend to add many more options now that you have more place to do it?
Yes, I have already added 3 new tabs
- FTP has its own tab now
- Directory tab headers has one
- The enhanced copy options have a tab too

Any others which I should add?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

The enhanced copy options have a tab too
What is the enhanced copy?
Any others which I should add?
Isn't it possible to include IniReloc in the options now?
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous