Last minute feature suggestions for v6.0 of TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Last minute feature suggestions for v6.0 of TC

Post by *pdavit »

Why not include here some tinny features we want for TC that we believe are relatively easy and fast to implements for the up-coming v6.0 of TC?

Let’s freshen up Christian’s memory and let him pick what can be feasible to implement for v6.0.

For example, moving (F6) selected files from within an archive to the opposite file list.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
sergeycentral

Post by *sergeycentral »

operations from within an archive are managed strangely anyway :!:

for instance, when you view a file (F3), TC copies that file to the temp dir and opens it with ur viewer. however, when you try to run cm_usermenu8 (for e.g.) on the file...its impossible.

why can't the file be copied to temp dir and the command executed on it like in F3 :?:
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Another small feature is verify on copy/move, sometimes I copy files from disk A to B and I want to be absolutely sure the files I copied have gotten there successfully. I could use check CRC after copy but that's a hassle, even more of a hassle is moving. So a simple CRC on copy (it can be done at the end of the copy process) or move could be welcome (a checkbox like copy in background).

[I know that with current disk's the chances of a bad copy are almost nil, still sometimes I must be absolutely sure]

Cheers.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

a simple CRC on copy
I totally support this suggestion: I really appreciate TC ZIP encoder because of its CRC check.
It would be a great improvement for the copy/move function to add a CRC check (very secure and reassuring for move operations).

AFAIK, no other file manager have this functionnality: it would be a tremendous advantage compared to other programs.
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

JackFoo wrote:Another small feature is verify on copy/move...
That’s actually very useful also when copying to a CD-RW in the packet writing level. A must I think.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

JackFoo wrote:[I know that with current disk's the chances of a bad copy are almost nil, still sometimes I must be absolutely sure]
Ha! Nil? Are you kidding? In almost half of the floppies i use nowadays i discover bad sectors after using them a couple of times! I don't know, perhaps some companies don't care about FD quality any more and create bad products...

IMO, it's a nice feature. It would be very useful.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
on

Post by *on »

fun topic :))

if i may write my 3 wishes:
- upx on executable
- ability to disable built-in virusprotection (crc check)
- actual directory (of active panel) in the captionbar
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

wanderer wrote:Ha! Nil? Are you kidding? In almost half of the floppies i use nowadays i discover bad sectors after using them a couple of times! I don't know, perhaps some companies don't care about FD quality any more and create bad products...
Hmm, I meant HD's, using floppies even with CRC is NOT secure. Floppies corrupt all the time, even if you copy a file with CRC, you can't be sure the floppy won't dorkout. Using floppies you should probably copy the same file to two different floppies and hope one will survive.

BTW FD's are a thing of the past, get a mem-stick;

Cheers.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

on wrote:- upx on executable
You can do it today using lst2str, through button bar or start menu. UPX isn't like a normal archiver so IMO it shouldn't be implemented as a plugin or integrated into TC. I use button bar with no problems.
on wrote:- ability to disable built-in virusprotection (crc check)
Hmm, why? Do you like your exe's infected?

Cheers.
on

Post by *on »

TC executable is packed with ASPack execompressor but we had a discussion about it. upx is a free and easily uncompressable alternative.

i use internet for 4 years and i have never found a virus on my computer (i download continously...)
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

[- ability to disable built-in virusprotection (crc check)] is not the same as [change ASPack to UPX compression]. Built-in virus protection (or rather CRC) can still be implemented regardless of the method used to compress (not saying it's needed). Either way if that's what you meant, than you can disregard my previous remark.
on wrote:i use internet for 4 years and i have never found a virus on my computer
This doesn't mean anything.

Cheers.
on

Post by *on »

JackFoo... first: i didn't ask your opinion. i just wrote my 'wishes'
second: i don't understand why you wrote crc check is not the same as aspack..................... are you crazy or sick? i didn't write it's the same!
i wrote the TOTALCMD.EXE executable is packed with ASPack execompressor. do you understand? this packer is only crackable not uncompressable.. i don't know why because execompressors are compressors not protectors (there is ASProtect for exeprotection..)
once more: i didn't write it's the same as crc check........ i don't know where you get it from.
about crc check: not everybody needs virusprotection. you can think it doesn't mean anything if i have never found a virus but i don't care. are you that kind of ppl who knows everything better than the others?
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

omg
on

Post by *on »

it's tipical... you almost close the whole topic with this omg.. thanks, man.
you are a very selfish human. it's a shame.
Geoffrey

Post by *Geoffrey »

As some nice suggestions were already made in this topic, I'd like to bring back another I suggested some time ago: it would be nice to add the ability to run the same program on different arguments taken from selected files.
I know that's already possible with lst2mlt, and that's what I'm doing currently... But it's not always enough (therefore my suggestion may also apply to lst2mtl ;).
In the case I would like to run prog.exe in=%p\file out=%t\file for every file in a list, I cannot do it simply, even with lst2mlt. So I need to execute by hand on each and every file.
It would then be handy to have a %l option (for example), so that I could from TC write something like:
prog.exe in=%p\%l out=%p\%l

Regards,
Geoffrey