Last minute feature suggestions for v6.0 of TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

2pintel
->1) very good idea!
->2) You can exclude something from the search with a horizontal bar '|' ex "*.*|*.bak" finds everything exept *.bak. I use this quite often, but for whole dirtrees it's not so easy to handle :/
Your solution is very nice! But you need to watch the whole process. The idea of a list of dir's to exclude is disscused here http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1440

---

I have also a little whish: By double-clicking on the bar with the currend path you get the directory hotlist (cm_DirectoryHotlist). I'd like to Alt+dbl-click to get the history (cm_DirectoryHistory) which is currently only acceseble with Alt+curser-down or an extra button.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Jonas wrote:I'd like to Alt+dbl-click to get the history (cm_DirectoryHistory) which is currently only acceseble with Alt+curser-down or an extra button.
You are going to like this! Your wish is already implemented although with a slightly different way. Do a delayed right-click on the bar with the current path and you will get the directory history list!!!

It's sometimes amazing how flexible and functional TC is. The bit with the current path can take four (4) different mouse operations giving four different functions.

1. Double-left-click -> Directory Hotlist
2. Left-click -> Edit current path
3. Right-click -> View context menu
4. Delayed-right-click -> Directory History List

I guess things like that make TC the best file manager ever produces by humanity!!! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

pintel wrote:I'd wish it could just skip the file, continue will all other non-problematic ones and then, at the END, show all the files he didn't know what to do with.
I have also asked for this before. Have a look here: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1044

Unfortunately the feedback was extremely low which I don't really get it! Am I the only one (plus you pintel) that finds the idea of clicking 36 times a button on a dialog box annoying? Am I the only one that for a file operation lasting 15mins I have to spend 2hours of my time in front of the screen due to the need of human-to-computer interaction? ;)

That's the reason I guess we have options like Overwite All or Skip All. What's not counted in the equation is the possibility of an increased number of errors.
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-08-08, 10:50 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Oh, by the way, my 2nd wish on my 3rd post in this thread has now been implemented by Christian. Good news! I can't wait for v6.0!!!

Ref: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=24&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Another last minute suggestions for v6.0 of TC:
- Restart option" :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I would like to use predefined selections in copy- and move dialogs. Predefined selections should be avaiable wherever it could be useful.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2003-08-15, 14:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
outspoken

background support for sfv

Post by *outspoken »

I'd definetely like to see the option to SFV create/check in the background.

I wish I had seen this thread ealier, I had a list of ideas that I lost! =/ If I think of some later I will come back.
Commander Registration #49478

Re: background support for sfv

Post by *Raymond »

I would like TC can tell me how many files ALONG WITH subdirectories there in current pane when I select all of them.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Raymond wrote:I would like TC can tell me how many files ALONG WITH subdirectories there in current pane when I select all of them.
You can already do that in three different ways.

Instead of having to select all of them go up the directory hierarchy and do a quick view (Ctrl+Q) over the desirable directory for the info you need. An alternative way is to press Ctrl+L over the directory you want to view its... "numerical" contents.

You can also get the Windows standard window with the corresponding info by making your selection and then do a delayed right-click and from the pop-up menu select Properties.
Homer

Post by *Homer »

It would be nice to have a possibility to change the file view to thumbnail.
It is difficult to manage files from digital devices like cameras or scanners which are usually in format imagexxx.jpg and you don't know the content.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

pdavit wrote: You can already do that in three different ways.

Instead of having to select all of them go up the directory hierarchy and do a quick view (Ctrl+Q) over the desirable directory for the info you need. An alternative way is to press Ctrl+L over the directory you want to view its... "numerical" contents.

You can also get the Windows standard window with the corresponding info by making your selection and then do a delayed right-click and from the pop-up menu select Properties.
Ctrl+Q or Ctrl+L will count all subdirectories RECURSIVELY under the directory, that's not what I want. I only want to know how many subdirectories along with files in CURRENT pane.
And I wish the info can be displayed in status bar, as files count is at present.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Homer wrote:It would be nice to have a possibility to change the file view to thumbnail.
It is difficult to manage files from digital devices like cameras or scanners which are usually in format imagexxx.jpg and you don't know the content.
Did you try select an image file and press Ctrl+Q? In case you didn't before.
And Imagine plugin is great for image files quick view.
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

I suggested this a while ago, but I don't know if it went anywhere. I'd love to have the option during QuickSearch to see only the files that match my criteria. That is, as soon as I press Alt+A (assuming that starts quicksearch mode), I only see files that start with "A".

An alternative to removing non-matching files is: temporarily re-sort the file list so that all the matching files appear next to one another. That is, if I use Alt+A and the current sort is on size, temporarily during QuickSearch all the files that match (start with "A") would be moved together, sorted in size order.
Last edited by chasbas on 2003-08-15, 14:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

One more! Maybe with the use of separate internal commands we could have the ability to select all files including dirs in the list and where needed all files excluding dirs. It's not that practical to have to go to the configurations to do that!
scannert

Post by *scannert »

I'd like some extra features for the Multi-Rename Tool:

1. regular expression support (which I believe is in v6 already)
2. something like a selectable list of different select&rename strings to automate multiple instances after each other

Something like:

'Some.Directory_Named_-_nothing-2003-PDF'
will turn into:
'Some Directory Named - Nothing (2003) format PDF'

after going through the following list of seach&replace strings:
1. '.' -> ' '
2. '_-_' -> ' - '
3. '_' -> ' '
4. '-([0-9]{4})' -> ' (\1)'
5. '-PDF$' -> ' format PDF'

so with selectable regular expression method on/off and the ability to save a complete list for easy access later.