Last minute feature suggestions for v6.0 of TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Darien Fenn

Search drives option

Post by *Darien Fenn »

Hacker wrote:
I usually want ot seach my local hard disk(s) only, so I usually have to select the "Drives" button, then "Local Hard Disks" then "OK". I do this so often the clicks add up.
An alternative would be to press Tab and Down after typing the name you're searching for (presumed your previous search included your local disks).

HTH
Roman
Right. Trading keystrokes for mouse clicks is probably a little more effecient, but this is something I do so often I'm really looking for an even more efficent method. I very occasionally make use of the default search path, but almost always want to search the local disks. It would work better for me to have a different default and an option to search the current directory tree.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Jonas wrote:It would be realy nice if you could just "execute" a TC-plugin (*.wlx, *.wfx, *.wcx) for installing it. If you press <return> on one of the first two, you could get a message "Plugin succesful installed <ok>" or "Plugin is already innstalled. Do you want to uninstall it? <yes|no>".
For the last type (*.wcx) the normal installation-dialog should appear, because you need the extension.
I found this nice tool which could do almost exactly what u said except uninstall thing. It works well for me. Maybe you can take a try.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

tm,
1. if you could set the title bar/window name text of each running commander separately. option to show current directory as suggested earlier would be nice too. imagine running 10 (ten) TC's
TC 6.0 will have Tabs and numbered instances reducing the need for naming instances.

Darien Fenn,
Trading keystrokes for mouse clicks is probably a little more effecient, but this is something I do so often I'm really looking for an even more efficent method. I very occasionally make use of the default search path, but almost always want to search the local disks. It would work better for me to have a different default and an option to search the current directory tree.
I also asked Christian for such an option a while ago, but as it didn't get implemented (yet) I am used to Ctrl-\, Alt-F7, since I usually search only my C drive. If I want to search all the disks, I do the tab-down thingy.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pingel

Feauture request for TC v 6.0

Post by *pingel »

One thing that I have always wanted was a better integration with the Windows Explorer - I know TC is supposed to get rid of Explorer, but in newer version of Windows Explorer has some nice features:

1. Shows different icons for the files and directories if the files are Syncronized (Offline files).
2. Has some views that I use a lot with image files: Thumbnails and Filmstrip.

Given that TC has the FTP built in, one very nice feature could be scripted syncronisation of directories and FTP sites. Scripted meaning that a list of syncronisations are stored in a script or file lists that can be executed.
If it then could be executed in a scheduler, then it would be perfect.
The script should also include the login to the FTP site, so it could be fully automated.

Otherwise I have been using Commander for over six years now, and really love it. Good job !!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

1. Shows different icons for the files and directories if the files are Syncronized (Offline files).
Should be possible when Christian implements the function that checks for the Offline attribute of files (discussed in another thread).

Even though that would not be impossible I guess an image viewer is more suitable for this.
Given that TC has the FTP built in, one very nice feature could be scripted syncronisation of directories and FTP sites. Scripted meaning that a list of syncronisations are stored in a script or file lists that can be executed.
Similarly, a specialized program is more suitable for this, I am sure FTP client programs can do this.

(Don't misunderstand me, I find more features fine, too, but rather implement something that I/we can't find anywhere else.)

HTH
Roman
pingel

Post by *pingel »

Should be possible when Christian implements the function that checks for the Offline attribute of files (discussed in another thread).
That is nice - I didn't know about that.
Even though that would not be impossible I guess an image viewer is more suitable for this.
The whole idea about the filmstrip or thumbnails is that you can instantly see the image, and you don't have to open it first. That is what I like about the feature in Explorer

Similarly, a specialized program is more suitable for this, I am sure FTP client programs can do this.
Commander has everything except the scripting. To have it all in one application would be very usefull. But I do understand if that would be outside the scope of the Commander.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2pingel
The whole idea about the filmstrip or thumbnails is that you can instantly see the image, and you don't have to open it first. That is what I like about the feature in Explorer
You can use the explorer thumbnail and filmstrip functionality in Total Commander! Look for the IEView plugin. It can be found on http://clubtotal.free.fr
Nomadin

Post by *Nomadin »

You can use the explorer thumbnail and filmstrip functionality in Total Commander!
How would you enable the filmstrip functionality? I currently use the IEView plug in to do quick previews in the alternate pane (Ctrl-Q), but I am not sure how to enable a filmstrip style of display.

Thanks!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Nomadin
How would you enable the filmstrip functionality? I currently use the IEView plug in to do quick previews in the alternate pane (Ctrl-Q), but I am not sure how to enable a filmstrip style of display.
open the context menu in the "quick explorer view". Change the view to "filmstrip".
chrisvw

Post by *chrisvw »

Please change default install folder to c:\program files\totalcmd instead of c:\totalcmd.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

IIRC there are some problems with changing the default path - Program Files doesn't exist on W3.x and it is usually write-protected. I'm sure Christian has more and better reasons.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
j.x

Post by *j.x »

chrisvw wrote:Please change default install folder to c:\program files\totalcmd instead of c:\totalcmd.
You should NEVER install to "c:\program files". The directory name is language dependant. I think you need to consult the registry to find the name there... Or maybe an environment variable called ProgramFiles.
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

j.x wrote:You should NEVER install to "c:\program files". The directory name is language dependant.
Is it? In Polish versions of Windows it's also called in English 'Program Files". I wonder how about French, German, etc...?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Gingo

Post by *Gingo »

In Swedish it's called "Program" which means "Programs". When I install a program it defaults to that folder, so it is language-specific.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2Gingo
Thanks for the info :-) Ms can't be consequent ;-(
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl