Search option request fulfilled but ...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mikey Boy

Search option request fulfilled but ...

Post by *Mikey Boy »

Just downloaded TC 5.51 and realized that a request made in Dec 2001 had been added - the ability to exclude specified folders from a search. Thanks ... but I wish I had been far more specific.

There are certain folders that would make sense to exclude from file searches: Temporary Internet Files, Recyle and RecoveryBin files, Cookies folders, etc. These folders often contain a large number of files and take quite a bit of time to scan.

If a user-settable list of folders to exclude could be added as separate tab on the Search window and a checkbox added to the General Tab indicating if the user wished to use the excluded file list, that would address this issue. (I think I've seen similar functionality in various Backup utilities.)

Thanks, though, for this upgrade. I haven't quite figured out how specify multiple folders to exclude but already the search function is quite a bit faster, just eliminating the TempInternet folder ...

Regards,
Mike
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Mikey Boy wrote:... I haven't quite figured out how specify multiple folders to exclude but already the search function is quite a bit faster, just eliminating the TempInternet folder ...

Regards,
Mike
excluding multiple folders example: *.* | iecache1\;iecache2\

but you cannot (AFAIK) do this (you can, but I won't work as expected):

*.* | iecache1\temp files\

to exclude iecache1\temp files\ but include all other dirs in iecache1

and you cannot (AFAIK) exclude absolute paths...
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

I think the extra tab with an generel exclusion-list is a nice idea!
With checkboxes in front of every entry and two buttons: (de-)activate all.

I'd support this.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 21:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey Boy

Post by *Mikey Boy »

Thanks but I'm not sure that I am being clear about excluding files.

Generally, I am searching for a file either because I cannot remember the exact name of the file or the folder that the file is in.

I would like to always exclude the Recycle (Recovery - NT4 Undelete) folders and the Internet Explorer Cookie and TemporaryInternetFiles folders from my searches.

I had varying degrees of success specifying multiple folders to exclude on the command line. The fact that you cannot specify a subfolder, as Lefteous points out, is very limiting. (For example, the TemporaryInternetFiles folder is a subfolder under Program Files. I want to search through the Program Files folder but NOT the TemporaryInternetFiles subfolder. I realize one solution is to simply move the TemporaryInternetFiles subfolder up to under the root directory but that is a short term, limited solution.)

norfie, thanks for your reply but I don't see how load/save addresses this. BTW, it seems to me that the dropdown in the Search For field is faster and almost as useful as the load/save tab.