Comparing directories

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djk
Power Member
Power Member

Comparing directories

Post by *djk »

Help me. I can't find a simple function in TC (maybe it's too hot for me today).

I want to compare two directories. But I don't want to compare them by dates or sizes but only to check which files exists in both directories (or which files are different - exists only in one of them). Then I would like to copy them in other place.

Shift+F2 - doesn't allow for it.
Synchronizing - doesn't allow me to copy selected files to another directory :-(

Is it possible to do it?

In Dos Navigator you can set additional options before comparing:
[x] - Compare size
[x] - Compare time
[ ] - Compare attributes
[ ] - Compare contents
File mask [ *.* ]

Maybe it would possible to add it to TC?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

Synchronizing - doesn't allow me to copy selected files to another directory
Why not? After peressing "Synchronize" button you can choose destination, right?
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2VadiMGP
Well, I really often use synchronization but I've never needed to change the destination directory so now... I've not noticed that the possibilty exists :oops:
(it's really too hot today)

Thanks, that's enough for me..

(but I still like the DN soultion :-) )
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
jb

Re: Comparing directories

Post by *jb »

djk wrote:Synchronizing - doesn't allow me to copy selected files to another directory :-(

Is it possible to do it?
As VadiMGP already pointed out, copying to anywhere is possible, but nevertheless you addressed a good point. Sometimes I would like to apply other operations within "Synchronize directories" in addition to copy, delete etc., namely:
- Pack left/right
- Move left/right
- Multi-Rename left/right/selected
djk wrote:In Dos Navigator you can set additional options before comparing:
[x] - Compare size
[x] - Compare time
[ ] - Compare attributes
[ ] - Compare contents
File mask [ *.* ]
"Synchronize directories" of TC already allows to set a file mask before comparing (in the middle at the top).
Apart from that I agree with you. I would go even further and suggest one more option:
[ ] - Compare names case-sensitive
zweistein

Post by *zweistein »

Well you can change the destination directory, but you can only copy files that were different. The menu allows you to "Select for copying" equal files, but they won't budge.

Why do I live my life trying to copy files that are equal? It's also hot over here but let me try to come up with an example. You have a slow connection to an ftp-server with huge files worth every megabyte. You burnt a CD with a copy a while ago. Now you want to burn an updated CD. You prepare a directory on the harddisk. You try to copy the files that are still up to date from CD, and download only new and changed files. The only way I see to accomplish this is to first copy the whole CD to harddisk and then remove or overwrite old files. TC makes the latter pretty easy, but it's still a waste to have to copy files you don't want...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sometimes I would like to apply other operations within "Synchronize directories" in addition to copy, delete etc., namely:
- Pack left/right
At least this one is possible: Choose a destination folder with the >> button, then append the name of the zip (may not exist yet) and put zip: in front of the name. TC 6.0 will also support packers other than zip. So the target would look like this:
zip:c:\destination\directory\archivename.zip
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
krs

Post by *krs »

im a newbee so please forgive me...

A little offtopic but mayby not....

is there any feature that compare the intire harddrive (search for duplic) like C: & D: and do a list over the same files so that i can save some space (if i have been dumb enuf to save files in 2places)
found:
c:\temp\nisse.txt & d:\my docs\nisse.txt
then i can delete c:\temp\nisse.txt and same some space.
~~~~The truth is out there~~~~
~~~~~~~Trust no one~~~~~~~
Leif

Post by *Leif »

You could always try this one:
http://www.clonespy.de/english/
zweistein

Post by *zweistein »

In the search function, on the Advanced tab, you'll see "Find Duplicate Files". I've rarely used it but it worked well. Strange that it doesn't have an option to compare timestamps.

I have my own script on unix and found it quite useful to compare on "extensions" too. You may have a copy of god17.jpg named Christian.jpeg, but there is no need to compare it with say a .gif. But of course that's highly a matter of taste.
Wincomuser

Post by *Wincomuser »

Another way to find duplicate files (or single files) is to use a nice program called Cathy. It's free, only 43KB and doesn't need any installation. I found it at http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/