selecting or switching to the same file in the other pane

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zweistein

selecting or switching to the same file in the other pane

Post by *zweistein »

Hello. It's been a while since the list crashed. Nice of you all to leave the name zweistein open for me...

My question: what do you do when you're faced with the following (and why didn't I find anyone asking anything like this before). You're lookin at two panes (pretty common for commander users I should think) with roughly the same contents (also pretty common). You highlight a file and Compare by Contents. TC automatically compares with the matching file on the other pane. You see that the other version is so much better and want to copy it over the first. But that is either tedious or complicated.

1. Switch to the other pane, scroll and find the filename back? Yuck.
2. Type C O P Y <space> <Ctrl-Enter> <Tab> <Tab> <Enter>? Sigh.
3. Select the file, do Synchronize Diretories, and click around? No cigar.

Any takers?
Gingo

Post by *Gingo »

1. Switch to the other pane and type the filename, making the highlight jump to it?

I use the typing magic very often.
zweistein

Post by *zweistein »

I didn't know that one. You do need to hit at least one other key to start typing the name, unless there's a way to divert input from the command line, but I wouldn't like to miss that.

In any case, I'm talking about big directories with long filenames, many of which have the same prefix. So thanks, but no thanks.
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi zweistein,

By default yes you have to press an other key but in the options you can change the Quick Search parameters.

Menu Configuration
Options
Select the tab Operation

There you will find the Quick Search options and select then Letter only.

What I don't understand in your explanation, if you use the compare by content then your file is already selected and you can simply copy the selected file to the destination folder.

Regards
Alain
zweistein

Post by *zweistein »

But in this case I want to copy the version in the destination pane over the selected file
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 21:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Post by *jb »

norfie wrote:make an entry (starter menu, button bar)
command: xcopy
parameter: %T%N %P /Y
Little correction: parameter: %T%N "%P" /Y
This allows also directory pathes with spaces. TC itself encloses %T%N in double quotes, but not %P%, presumably because TC cannot know whether the rest of the command line contains a file name.

PS: I would NOT use the above entry because /Y is much too dangerous and because the benefit is too small for me. But of course it shows the idea.
zweistein

Post by *zweistein »

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned the "copy" command solution: it wasn't an answer to my own question.

I couldn't believe TC would not support this simple operation, so one minute ago I turned to TC and had an epiphany :idea:. The first thing I tried was to press a button wired to cm_Exchange. Bingo! This exchanges the source and destination panel, but keeps the highlight on the same file in the same panel (left- or right-wise). The button has been there for ages and its surface scratches by many uses, but I never noticed this!

By the way, Ctrl-U is the default shortcut to this function. If like me you can't remember that, there is a nice matching icon for a button in msdxm.ocx, at least on Windows 2000.