Auto removing read-only flag from files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Auto removing read-only flag from files

Post by *pdavit »

It would be great if we could have an option on the copy dialog box or a setting in configurations or even a new ini value that will allow to automatically remove the read-only flag from files when copying from CD/DVD-ROMs.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Doesn't it do now?

There is also in manual option:

DriveisCD=FGH

Define drives F, G and H as CD-ROM drives. When copying from these drives, Total Commander will not copy the read only attribute. Useful for network CD drives which are not detected automatically.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

True but this is not flexible since you follow the manual way and most important since you might selectively need to keep the read-only attribute for those few cases. If data is to be written back again to a CDR you don't really care about the read-only attr although this attr will appear automatically anyway on the CDR data. So, if you are planning of keeping the read-only attr for those cases, the conversion might prove a time-consuming unnecessary task.

Well, the later sounded like I don't support my own suggestion ( ;) ) while in reality I just consider the speed implications in addition to covering different user needs!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well you asked of a possibility to "automatically remove the read-only flag from files when copying from CD/DVD-ROMs". I don't use the described above option and TC does it automatically.
I think this ini option forces it only for drives which are not automatically detected as CD. So it should be done automatically now without it.

But true, in some cases it could be useful to keep the read-only attribute for some files and there could be such an option on copy dialog :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC always removes the read only attribute when copying from CDs, except for CDs on network drives - for this the above mentioned option was added. If you want to keep the attribute, use the Explorer method for copying: Ctrl+C Tab Ctrl+V.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com