Managing Tab Definitions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Managing Tab Definitions

Post by *JohnFredC »

I expect to define many, many tabs... too many for simultaneous display, even with multiple tab rows ( which I generally try to avoid anyway... too visually confusing).

My ideas are these:

1. It would be great to have a "pool" of tab definitions (available in a user manageable list) from which I can choose one (or a few) to be displayed at any one time.

2. It would be great if there was also a "pool" of tab "groups" (also available in a user manageable list) from which I could choose to display a group for each pane. Each group would contain whichever tabs I cared to assign to it. The same tab might appear in different groups. Displaying the group would display all the tabs that belong to it.

3. Further, it would be nice to have one additional level of grouping definition: group "sets" where I would define a group for the left pane and a group for the right pane. Then I could select a particular "set" to display, and automatically the group of tabs for the left and the group of tabs for the right would appear, perhaps optionally with the left and right tabs of my "default" choices already selected.

Some might say that this schema is too complicated to setup and maintain, but it reflects the way I work with my files... I tend to have distinct groups of tasks that involve movement of files in groups through a series of staging locations. Though the favorites menu works well for this, I expect this alternate approach to displaying groups of tabs would be much more efficient for me, reducing the number of task-related mouse clicks substantially.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You will be able to save lists tabs to file, and then load them via the button bar or via the start menu.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

You will be able to save lists tabs to file, and then load them via the button bar or via the start menu.
This sounds like a great opportunity for a file-system plugin to manage the tablist files....!
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric