Major slowdown while copying large files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lukit

Major slowdown while copying large files

Post by *lukit »

Hi,

maybe you have noticed your system slows down (swaps out almost everything) when you copy large (eg. iso) files to the hdd.

Dear developers, is the O_SEQUENTIAL flag set when you open() the source / destination file?

Best regards
Sam York

Re: Major slowdown while copying large files

Post by *Sam York »

lukit wrote:Hi,

maybe you have noticed your system slows down (swaps out almost everything) when you copy large (eg. iso) files to the hdd.
Even on NT OS's ???

It sure happens on 98se but does it happen also on an xp pro? ... Did you tested on an xp pro?
piranha

Post by *piranha »

Yes, it does happen in XP pro.
After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breath and reboot.
lukit

Post by *lukit »

Sam York wrote:

Even on NT OS's ???

It sure happens on 98se but does it happen also on an xp pro? ... Did you tested on an xp pro?
yep, 2K & XP does it, too.
aguirRe

Post by *aguirRe »

Maybe Christian should answer this one but I believe that using the INI file settings CopyHuge*/CopyBlock* will completely circumvent the OS file caching, thus eliminating such behaviour.
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

Being an user of 98se & xp pro these will not come as a good news
aguirRe wrote:Maybe Christian should answer this one but I believe that using the INI file settings CopyHuge*/CopyBlock* will completely circumvent the OS file caching, thus eliminating such behaviour.
Did you test it? But how about the computer's memory? Those settings will not use a lot of memory resources?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Sam York
These settings use excactly the memory you specify in the copyblocksize* options. The block is only allocated when needed (during copying).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2Sam York
These settings use excactly the memory you specify in the copyblocksize* options. The block is only allocated when needed (during copying).
But wouldn't this be the same thing since the slowdown appears in the moment you copy/move files with the settings mentions not applied?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have no idea where the slowdown comes from in your case. I can only guess that the drivers weren't correctly written, so they seem to work OK with Explorer, but if the functions are called in a different order like in TC, the driver fails.
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

lukit wrote:
Sam York wrote:

Even on NT OS's ???

yep, 2K & XP does it, too.
Unfortunately is not in my case only or on only one OS ...
lukit

Post by *lukit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have no idea where the slowdown comes from in your case. I can only guess that the drivers weren't correctly written, so they seem to work OK with Explorer, but if the functions are called in a different order like in TC, the driver fails.
Do you set O_SEQUENTIAL bit when you open the source file? It specifies the file access will be mainly sequential.

I wrote a little program: it makes a copy of a file via 50K buffer. If I don't define O_SEQUENTIAL - windows will swap the hell out, will slow down heavily. If I use O_SEQUENTIAL, the copy process and the system will be fine. I gladly give you the source files to see the difference.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I wrote a little program: it makes a copy of a file via 50K buffer. If I don't define O_SEQUENTIAL - windows will swap the hell out, will slow down heavily. If I use O_SEQUENTIAL, the copy process and the system will be fine. I gladly give you the source files to see the difference.
Wow, can I please have it? I am very curious about the time differences. My assuption is, that the O_SEQUENTIAL version is slower. But to maintain system response, IMHO is more important than speed when copying in the background.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you set O_SEQUENTIAL bit when you open the source file?
Yes I do!