Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

What packet software are you using?
2Roman

Roxio Blah Blah 5.3.5.

No matter what file size, after dragging a file to the CD folder, the drive waits approximately 20 seconds before the write light blinks. If it wrote immediately, there'd be no (or less of a) problem.

Instead, it appears that if too much data queues up for the drive before the light blinks, the disk is trashed and I have to ScanDisk... quite tedious on an almost full disk, for instance.

So, I approximate the delay between files to be the "write light" delay plus additional delay proportional to file size.

If it's a small file, say 1Mb, 20-25 seconds works. Larger files <10Mb or so, 45-60 seconds. Files larger than that always crash the drive. Can't write 'em.

This is the "new" drive that HP sent after I returned the original one because of similar problems. It just sucks, but I am stuck with it for a while and just have to make do.

Perhaps my interpretation of the problem is technically inaccurate, but after trial and error and many curses (not to mention disks), I have zeroed in on this method of getting my files written.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I understand... IIRC when I copy files to my PacketCD formatted RW (under W98SE) the copy process starts almost immediately (a few seconds), and then I can add as many files as I want, the writing process continues. After it finishes it waits for a while (5-10 seconds) and then "closes" the RW.
Hmm, don't know how to heklp you... maybe another packet writing driver? DirectCD by Adaptec or InCD by Ahead...

Anyways, the standard answer would be, "Oh... HP... next time buy a Plextor.". :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.