New packer plugin for reading Unix mailbox files!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

New packer plugin for reading Unix mailbox files!

Post by *Juergen »

Hi all,

this is a shameless plug. :D

I'm happy to announce the public release (v1.00 beta 2) of my packer plugin for reading Unix mailbox (mbox) files for Total Commander (TC). I hope, that it will be useful for some of you.

Using this plugin, TC can handle an mbox file like a folder, that contains single EML files (= the mails) -- 'read only' in this first version.

The messages can be sorted by subject, size, or time.
The plugin stamps each mail according to it's "Date" header field. Since this time stamp is expressed in Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) for all mails, messages from all parts of the world (e.g. on a mailing list) can be sorted by time in a consistent way.

You can view the content of selected mails, compare the contents of 2 mails in the same or in different mbox files, extract individual or all messages, search mbox files for duplicate mails, and more ...

Some mail programs cannot handle their mbox files any more, when they become too large. In this case, TC together with this plugin can be very valuable, to extract the mails, and thereby save them. The plugin also can save messages from corrupted mailboxes, that contain binary data (e.g. ASCII 26 = <EOF> marker).

Technically, the plugin is an industry standard 32-bit Windows DLL, that can be used by _any_ program, written in C, Delphi, or <whatever>.

Download: http://luethje.de.vu/prog/

Since this beta version runs pretty stable, I'll release the final version 1.00 soon. This version will (at least) have the following enhancements:
- Mailboxes can be opened with <Ctrl>+<PageDown>, regardless of the file extension.
- It will contain the source code.

Any questions, suggestions, comments, and bug reports are welcome.

Best regards,
Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Why do you start a new topic here?
There is another forum about plugins and... you wrote about this plugin version (1.00 beta 2) a week ago there.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

djk wrote:Why do you start a new topic here?
There is another forum about plugins and... you wrote about this plugin version (1.00 beta 2) a week ago there.
I guess this section attracts more forum members and news spread faster here. I sometimes follow the same "improper" action in order to spread the news faster and to a wider audience! ;)

It's less professional I guess but AFAIK it's still legal, isn't it?!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well, I understand it but... it makes more difficult to search the posts in future when the same topics are in both (or even three) forums.

Look at the subtopic of "Plugin development+support (English)" forum: "Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins here"

Look also at the forum rules:
"8.) No cross posting. Post your message to the appropriate forum and nowhere else or it will be locked or deleted without warning."
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

djk wrote:Why do you start a new topic here?
Someone who plays not an unimportant rule in these forums suggested this to me.
pdavit wrote:I guess this section attracts more forum members and news spread faster here.
I also believe that some people might assume, that the plugin forum is only intended for developers, and therefore don't read there.

Best regards,
Juergen
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Juergen wrote:I also believe that some people might assume, that the plugin forum is only intended for developers, and therefore don't read there.
It isn't and most new plugins are announced just there so people who uses plugins just read the forum :-). And if this message was not for developers and testers you could wait to announce the stable version not beta.
But nevermind, I wasn't going to argue about it with you. As I wrote I understand you.

BTW: I aslo use your plugin and I think it's very useful :-)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

djk wrote:... most new plugins are announced just there so people who uses plugins just read the forum :-).
OK, I see.
djk wrote:And if this message was not for developers and testers you could wait to announce the stable version not beta.
developers != testers
djk wrote:But nevermind, I wasn't going to argue about it with you. As I wrote I understand you.
I see your point, too.
djk wrote:BTW: I aslo use your plugin and I think it's very useful :-)
Thanks. :D

Best regards,
Juergen