RAR for the button bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

RAR for the button bar

Post by *Boofo »

Does anyone have it set up to RAR highlighted files from the button bar? I am trying to set it up to RAR files using an addon program called lst2mlt.exe which will pass the parameters to any file that is highlighted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hey Boofo, I guess you mixed something up.
WinRAR: You need to specify path\to\winrar.exe in the command field and something like a archive.rar @%L in the parameters field. Of course you can add any switches you want between a and the name of the archive (in this case archive.rar).
Lst2mlt: This program (when properly used) starts a program as many times as you have files selected in the filelist, each time with the next file, so you can for instance open 3 files in three instanes of the same editor.

HTH
Roman
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Firstly, TC supports rar internally, why would you want to call it from button bar? If for some odd reason you still want to use button bar, than it's simple because rar supports list files:

Command: C:\path\rar.exe
Parameters: a -m5 -md4096 -r -ep1 -s mynew.rar @%L

This would add selected files to an archive called mynew.rar, other rar functions options can be read in rar help.

I don't know if it's possible to call TC's interanl rar interface from button bar, afaik not.

# Hacker, sorry didn't see your answer before posting.

Cheers.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

JackFoo wrote:Firstly, TC supports rar internally, why would you want to call it from button bar? If for some odd reason you still want to use button bar, than it's simple because rar supports list files:

Command: C:\path\rar.exe
Parameters: a -m5 -md4096 -r -ep1 -s mynew.rar @%L

This would add selected files to an archive called mynew.rar, other rar functions options can be read in rar help.

I don't know if it's possible to call TC's interanl rar interface from button bar, afaik not.

# Hacker, sorry didn't see your answer before posting.

Cheers.
Ok, that works great! Thank you. Now...how can I have it rar the file like TC does with ZIP (to the other window instead of the RAR dir) and automatically name it like the internal zip does but allow me to change it like the internal zip does. Can this be done?
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Hacker wrote:Hey Boofo, I guess you mixed something up.
WinRAR: You need to specify path\to\winrar.exe in the command field and something like a archive.rar @%L in the parameters field. Of course you can add any switches you want between a and the name of the archive (in this case archive.rar).
Lst2mlt: This program (when properly used) starts a program as many times as you have files selected in the filelist, each time with the next file, so you can for instance open 3 files in three instanes of the same editor.

HTH
Roman
Roman, long time no talk. ;) Thanks for the answer. It really helped. I use Lst2mlt for opening multiple files in EditPlus and it works great for that. I wasn't sure if I could use it for thre RAR problem or not. I guess I don't need to now. ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

how can I have it rar the file like TC does with ZIP (to the other window instead of the RAR dir) and automatically name it like the internal zip does but allow me to change it like the internal zip does. Can this be done?
Yes, exactly like with ZIP - by selecting the files, pressing Alt-F5 and choosing RAR.

Yep, long time no talk. :)

JackFoo,
No sweat.

HTH
Roman
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Hacker wrote:
how can I have it rar the file like TC does with ZIP (to the other window instead of the RAR dir) and automatically name it like the internal zip does but allow me to change it like the internal zip does. Can this be done?
Yes, exactly like with ZIP - by selecting the files, pressing Alt-F5 and choosing RAR.

Yep, long time no talk. :)

JackFoo,
No sweat.

HTH
Roman
I guess that works better doing it that way instead of a separate button. Thanks! Is there any way to set it to the best compression doing it that way or am I missing something? ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, take a look at http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=127 .

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Thanks for the link. I finally got it figured out last night. Here is what I am using for the RAR packer line:

C:\Program Files\WinRAR\Rar.exe -m5 -md4096 -s -t

It seems to be working great. I also have "Also pack path names" and "Recursively pack subdirectories" checkmarked and it seems to be working good now. Is there a way to be able to set a specific size for the Multiple archives option? I tried to set it at 307300 bytes for each archive but it ends up at 314000 for each one.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You can also set the default options through the WinRAR interface in Options - Settings - Compression - Create Default. There you can also set the volume size. Alternatively you can set it using -v307300b .

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Hacker wrote:You can also set the default options through the WinRAR interface in Options - Settings - Compression - Create Default. There you can also set the volume size. Alternatively you can set it using -v307300b .

HTH
Roman
I tried doing it that way for the compression level and it didn't change anything. I had to put -m5 on the command line for the packer to get it to do the Best compression level. I only want it to work when I check the Multiple archives box, not all the time. ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I tried doing it that way for the compression level and it didn't change anything.
Well, try using WinRAR.exe instead of rar.exe .

HTH
Roman
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Hacker wrote:
I tried doing it that way for the compression level and it didn't change anything.
Well, try using WinRAR.exe instead of rar.exe .

HTH
Roman
I tried that before going to RAR. ;)

I figured out the Multiple Files problem though. If I use 300, it will end up at 307200 per file. Using 200 ends up at 204800. It's not exact, but close enough. ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I tried that before going to RAR.
Strange. At least WinRAR should take the default settings as defult. Are you sure you changed the default profile as I described above and did not make just temporary changes? You can check it by simply runnig WinRAR, selecting some files and clicking the Add icon. The default options should be shown.

I figured out the Multiple Files problem though. If I use 300, it will end up at 307200 per file. Using 200 ends up at 204800. It's not exact, but close enough.
Well, that's because it multiplies the size by 1024. Try entering 307300b .

HTH
Roman
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Hacker wrote:

Strange. At least WinRAR should take the default settings as defult. Are you sure you changed the default profile as I described above and did not make just temporary changes? You can check it by simply runnig WinRAR, selecting some files and clicking the Add icon. The default options should be shown.
Yes, I double-checked it again just now and the default profile is set the same as I had it when it didn't work with just WinRAR on the command line.
Hacker wrote:

Well, that's because it multiplies the size by 1024. Try entering 307300b .
I tried that and it RAR's the whole file without breaking it down that way. Is there something I'm missing with the Multiple archives option?