Multi-rename tool suggestion and a slight problem.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

Multi-rename tool suggestion and a slight problem.

Post by *JackFoo »

Ok, I'm using multi-rename tool quite a lot, what ticks me is that I need to reselect the files and open multi-rename from start after each operation... Could be very nice if I could keep the changed + unchanged files in the same box (maybe in different colors) so I could continue with other operations. Note some need for it would lighten when RegEx becomes available but not all of it.

And a small problem:
1. Minimize TC to tray
2. run Media Player Classic (MPC) in full window
3. now set MPC to normal size
4. TC is in both tray and the Taskbar

I haven't seen it with other programs beside MPC, so I'm not certain it's TC's fault.

EDIT: renamed the title so that jb could sleep at night, hehe;

Cheers.
Last edited by JackFoo on 2003-09-06, 14:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I would also like this feature too! I experience the same problem usually in the following situation. Let's assume I have the following list of files:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

What I want to do is rename the above files by adding e.g. the prefix word "landscape" but at the same time I want the first three files to also have a two-digit form. What I usually do is select the first three (one-digit) files, call the multi-rename tool, add the "0" prefix, click Start!, close the multi-rename tool, select all files, call the multi-rename tool, add the "landscape" prefix, click Start!, close the multi-rename tool.

I haven't thought yet of a possible way to make my life easier with the aid of RegExs but what you have suggested here JackFoo will decrease the necessary steps in order to perform the aforementioned procedure and hence make my life easier! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Re: A suggestion and a problem.

Post by *jb »

JackFoo wrote:Ok, I'm using multi-rename tool quite a lot, what ticks me is that I need to reselect the files and open multi-rename from start after each operation... Could be very nice if I could keep the changed + unchanged files in the same box (maybe in different colors) so I could continue with other operations. Note some need for it would lighten when RegEx becomes available but not all of it.
Yes, sometimes I also would like to perform multiple rename operations on the same set of files. A cheap way for TC to support this would be to keep the selection after returning from the "Multi-rename Tool" dialog, regardless whether the user renamed files (pressed the "Start" button) or not. Thus the user could just recall the multi-rename tool, maybe after expanding or shrinking the selection. The possibility to modify the selection would be an additional advantage.
Currently the selection is preserved only when no rename operation was executed.

BTW:
I wonder that a senior member like you still mixes two completely unrelated topics into one and tags it with a meaningless subject. :wink:

EDIT:
Many thanks for the renaming of the subject! Probably I will sleep like a log tonight. :)