Feature Request: Sort By Color Definitions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Nightburn

Feature Request: Sort By Color Definitions

Post by *Nightburn »

Hello this is my first post, although I've been a longtime lurker... I'm a registered user of TC and at this point I could never be without it.. Thanks for a great program!

One feature request that I haven't seen anyone else suggest that may or may not be easy to implement is the ability to sort by your color definitions..

I'm sure there are others out there like me - who have a very extensive color coding list setup......

good idea? :?:
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Interesting idea... but what color first: white, red, black? :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

djk wrote:Interesting idea... but what color first: white, red, black? :-)
just order off the order that is already in the "Define colors by file type" dialog box
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Well,

I like the pink colored files to be listed first followed by the light blue ones *ahaaa*, and in the end the brown ones *schtznzi* :))

Actually this feature sounds interesting, but the question really is: what sort order would be? And what kind of sense does this feature really make?

Greets
Pete

PS: Neither do I want to offend someone nor start a political discussion concerning these color selections.
Last edited by Pete on 2003-09-08, 13:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Pete

did you read what Nightburn wrote?
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello Lefteous,

yes I have read.
After doing some experiments with this "Define colors by file type" dialog box, I see that there is a sense in this type of color sorting as Nightburn has described above.

I do not use colors for file types very often, because for me it looks too colorful then. I like plain panels: black fonts on gray backgrounds. And sorting on file extensions is enough for me.

Greets
Pete
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I like the idea!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

I'm happy to see that some of you like my idea...

The reason I'd like this feature is because this allows me sort things basically by "priority."

If this feature was in TC, my most important files/directories could be sorted from the top --- down. This would allow us as TC users to totally customize our directory and file layouts... You could even set your defined color entries to the exact same color but just change the order if you don't like having a rainbow of colors on your screen. You could add color definitions to make sure one specific file or folder is ALWAYS on top.. This is definitely a "bell & whistle" feature but I'd really like to see it !..

*bribe*If ghisler adds it I'll register TC for a second time :) */bribe*

thx
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

Two recent threads have mentioned additional sorts that are desireable. I have suggested before the addition of a “sorting plug-in” (a .wsx file, say) that would allow programmers to extend the notion of sorting to anything they like. TC could pass this plug-in a structure containing what TC knows about each of the files it is displaying (like its name, attributes, color, etc.) and the plug-in could return a list of indices sorted any way it wants. It could even (at a time cost, of course) sort by the contents of the file (e.g., function name). Maybe it could even leave some files out of the sorted list (a filter), or list others multiple times (say, if a source code file contained multiple functions).

This way Christian wouldn’t have to spend time building interfaces for all kinds of specialized custom sorts.
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

I guess its just a question of what is easiest to implement. Chasbas it seems to me you just described something considerably more difficult to do. Then again - what do I know, I have no idea how these things are programmed, maybe its more difficult to interface with defined colors then to program an entire new plugin area for sorting.

I'll be happy either way .. thx! :lol:
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

You're probably right, Nightburn. I have seen a bunch of "sorting" requests, though, and since Christian has already done several different DLL interfaces I thought this one wouldn't be that much different, and would enable all the programmers out there to come up with some innovative and creative sorts. Like yours!