BUG? Control-B and a move (F6) ? More inside...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

echdarees

BUG? Control-B and a move (F6) ? More inside...

Post by *echdarees »

Hi there,

I "hope" this is a real bug and not some speck of my imagination : here it goes...
- I've downloaded all C64-games from www.gamebase64.com and placed them in their respective directories : a* in directory a, b* in b1 and b2 and so on...
- the layout of my gamesdir :
_sorted_
a
b
c
d1
d2
e
etc... You get the picture
- enter %GAMESDIR%, press ctrl-B to see all the files in one enormous list and now : the piece de resistance : do the following :
- select (eg) outrun.zip (in the o-dir) and testdrive2.zip (in the t1-dir) and try to move them (F6) into the upper folder (..\_sorted_) > TC will generate an error saying that the files can not be copied into themselves...

My apologies if I'm reporting a bogus :-)
with kind regards,
/echdarees
gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

When you are in the "Ctrl+B" mode, you "are" in the %GAMESDIR% folder, not in the corresponding subfolders. So, you have to move the files to the folder "_sorted_", not "..\_sorted_".

Btw, I have encountered another problem with Ctrl-B a few times; however, I'm not able to reproduce it, it seems to be happening randomly (or I'm overlooking something). It goes like this:

In the Ctrl+B mode, I select a number of files (usually using Alt+Plus, i.e. all the files with given extension) and delete them. Usually it works as I expected... but sometimes, all the files disappear from the window, not only the ones I selected (which is rather shocking, since it looks like I have deleted all the files by mistake, not only the selected ones). Fortunatelly, it's not the case - an empty directory is displayed, but after an update (Ctrl+R) the files appear again.
As I said, I don't know what are the necessary conditions to reproduce the error; for a while I thought it might be caused by other simultaneous changes occurring in the directory tree I'm working with (some of the files in the Ctrl+B display are downloaded from a background FTP at the moment), but it also doesn't seem to be the case...
pgriffet

Post by *pgriffet »

gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

Thanks, pgriffet, but that's actually a different thing.

I've explored the problem again... and I must say it's very strange and quite random (and it doesn't have anything to do with zero-byte files). In a particular configuration, I have repeatedly done exactly the same and the "empty folder" sometimes appeared, sometimes not.

It seems to be connected with the fact that the left and right pannel display "similar" paths.

In particular, I did the following:

1. I prepared the following files:
C:\Temp\X\1\File1.exe
C:\Temp\X\1\File1.txt
C:\Temp\X\2\File2.exe
C:\Temp\X\2\File2.txt
There was nothing else in the C:\Temp directory, only these 4 files.

2. I opened the folder C:\Temp in both the panels (left & right).

3. In the left panel, I copied the folder X to (a new) folder Y, i.e. 4 new files were created:
C:\Temp\Y\1\File1.exe
C:\Temp\Y\1\File1.txt
C:\Temp\Y\2\File2.exe
C:\Temp\Y\2\File2.txt

4. In the right panel, I entered the new folder Y and pressed Ctrl+B.

5. I selected the two .txt files and deleted them.

At this moment, the right panel often showed an empty folder (even though on refresh is showed the real content - the two .exe files inside the folders 1 and 2 were still there).
I repeated the steps 2-5 multiple times, each time deleting the folder Y first. It's hard to estimate, but I'd say the probability that an empty folder will appear is about 50%.

However, when I change the "configuration" such that I copy the folder D:\X (and not C:\X, as before) onto C:\Y, the problem doesn't appear... therefore I said it seems to be connected to the fact that "similar" (i.e. having a common first part?) folders are displayed in the left and right panel.

But of course, I may be completely wrong... and overlooking something obvious :)
pgriffet

Post by *pgriffet »

Hi Gigaman, it is indeed another problem. The CTRL+B seems to generate random behaviours but it is definitely a powerful function.