2 progress bars in FTP upload

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

2 progress bars in FTP upload

Post by *fabiochelly »

I would like to enter this wish also in the new forum : is it possible to have the "total" progress bar for FTP upload ?
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently it isn't done for consistency with FTP downloads, where the total size info isn't always available (e.g. when downloading subdirs or from list).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

I meant only for upload not download.
Fabio Chelly.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

:)
And Christian meant (he said it some time ago) that if he implements that then people will start asking why it's not working for downloads.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Then he just have to answer that remote total size info isn't available
Fabio Chelly.
Innuendo

There has to be a way...

Post by *Innuendo »

Every other FTP program I have used is able to have a "total progress" bar when uploading/downloading directories so it must be possible to do one way or another.

Look at AceFTP Pro, for example. When transferring many subdirectories one can minimize the app to the system tray and the tray icon is a percentage progress count on the total file transfer, not just the current transferring file.

I would *love* if Total Commander would work that way, too.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Yes but it can be very slow to get the total size: if you want to download folders, the recursive search of all files sizes can be very slow.

But there is no reason to hide total bar while uploading. I really need it when I have to upload an entire website.
Fabio Chelly.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

... able to have a "total progress" bar when uploading/downloading directories
Is the progressbar related to the total file sizes or only to the number of files ?

There is a difference if i download 99 files with 1 KB and a last file with 100 MB it will show 99 % after a few seconds ... :)
#5767 Personal license
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Is the progressbar related to the total file sizes or only to the number of files ?

Total size (as far as I understand what you're asking).

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Definitely total size...AceFTP Pro "clicks" off in bytes & correlates that to percentages.

Speed is NOT a factor as I have transfered hundreds of files equaling tens of megabytes and there is no slowdown at all in figuring everything up. There has to be a trick.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

1. Was that uploading or downloading?
2. How fast can you change a dir on that remote FTP server? Ie how long does it take between pressing Enter on a dir and showing all its contents?

TIA
Roman
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Hacker,

Very fast...I use the FTP Server function built into RemotelyAnywhere for my home FTP server. Before that I used G6 FTP (now Bulletproof FTP Server) and before that something else.

I've used CuteFTP, LeapFTP, FileZilla, AceFTP Pro, TurboFTP, Bulletproof FTP, WS-FTP, and the FTP functions of Enriva's Magellan, GPSoft's Directory Opus, and a few others. They all have the feature we've been requesting with no "slow-downs" at all. Try them for yourself and see.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

IMO it depends on the connection. If there is a slow connection then traversing the dirs would be pretty slow, too.

Or is there some command to show the size of all files in a dir and its subdirs...?

TIA
Roman
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Hacker/Roman,

I don't know how it all works...I'm lame like that. :D

All I know is it works in other programs and it should be an option in Total Commander, too. That way users can choose if they "need" that feature or not.

I know this isn't a big deal...but TotalCommander is so perfect as it is I've run out of big suggestions to make. Just a few little tweaks here and there and Christian will have the ultimate file manager. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

The only thing I am saying is that IMO it would be very slow in most cases and fast in only a few cases. Period. End of my opinion. I am always happy when something new is implemented.

Roman