Shift+Alt+Enter Memory

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Asvod

Shift+Alt+Enter Memory

Post by *Asvod »

One really cool feature in TC is Shift+Alt+Enter, which enables you to see the sizes of all the subdirs in the current dir.
Sometimes this operation takes a long time - esp. when dealing with CDs - so its frustrating when you wait a minute or so for it to count everything, then you just peek (without actually doing anything) into a subdir, and when you return to the main dir, you have to Shift+Alt+Enter all over again.

Or is there a secret I don't know about?
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

If I do this in a directory, it takes lets say 10-20 sec. The second time I execute this, its finished in a second or 2. I assume it's the HD cache.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

then you just peek (without actually doing anything) into a subdir, and when you return to the main dir, you have to Shift+Alt+Enter all over again.
Well, try peeking with Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Right. :) In TC 6.0 you'll be able to peek using tabs.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Usually the second Ctrl+Shift+Enter is quite a bit faster, because Windows caches the dir lists internally.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Asvod

Post by *Asvod »

Hmm. True. It's a rare problem for me, although it does exist, since I use this feature on LAN disks, which tend to take more than a few seconds even when repeating.

The need to cache stuff like this would probably make TC bloated, anyway, and I like 'em slim. 8)

Forget about it.

Thanks for quick reply, everyone!