Educational Pricing

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MelOrecklin

Educational Pricing

Post by *MelOrecklin »

Is educational pricing available for Total Commander? Microsoft, Symantec, Novell etc. etc. all provide their software for educational and non-profit organizations with pricing at 10% to 40% of the retail cost.

I have joined an non-profit that will be installing high speed internet to remote and native communities in Northern Manitoba. We will be installing MS Office on the many workstations in 30 to 40 schools. If site licencing were availalbe at a reasonalbe cost, I would be tempted to install Total Commander as part of the base installation.

With thanks

Mel Orecklin, P.Eng., MBA, CAFM
oblomov

Re: Educational Pricing

Post by *oblomov »

MelOrecklin wrote:Is educational pricing available for Total Commander? Microsoft, Symantec, Novell etc. etc. all provide their software for educational and non-profit organizations with pricing at 10% to 40% of the retail cost.

I have joined an non-profit that will be installing high speed internet to remote and native communities in Northern Manitoba. We will be installing MS Office on the many workstations in 30 to 40 schools. If site licencing were availalbe at a reasonalbe cost, I would be tempted to install Total Commander as part of the base installation.
Nothing to do with TC, but consider using OpenOffice.org (www.openoffice.org) instead of Microsoft Office.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MelOrecklin,
From TC's help file:
Additional licences allow an institution, company or school to install the program on multiple computers or on a server. All licences are issued to the same (company) name, which appears in the program's title bar. It must be guaranteed that the program does not run on more machines at the same time than there are licences purchased.

All licences are issued to the same (company) name, which appears in the program's title bar. You will receive one floppy disk and one quick reference card.

Examples for calculating additional licences:

Licence for 5 users: 40.-+4x20.- = CHF 120.-
Licence for 10 users: 40.-+9x20.- = CHF 220.-
Licence for 15 users: 40.-+9x20.-+5x15.- = CHF 295.-
Licence for 25 users: 40.-+9x20.-+15x15.- = CHF 445.-
Licence for 50 users: 40.-+9x20.-+15x15.-+25x12.- = CHF 745.-
Licence for 100 users: 40.-+9x20.-+15x15.-+75x12.- = CHF 1345.-
Licence for 250 users: 40.-+9x20.-+15x15.-+75x12.-+150x8.- = CHF 2545.-

For larger amounts than 1000 please contact us by E-Mail to sales@ghisler.com
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:MelOrecklin,
From TC's help file:
Additional licences allow an institution, company or school to install the program on multiple computers or on a server. All licences are issued to the same (company) name, which appears in the program's title bar. It must be guaranteed that the program does not run on more machines at the same time than there are licences purchased.
HTH
Roman
That's what is amazing about TC. Christian requires that the program does not run on more machines at the same time than there are licences purchased. I don't think any other program out there requires such a thing. Everyone says "if you want to install it on more than one machine, you must pay for a license for each machine".
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
havanna

Post by *havanna »

2 wanderer

That kind of (kind!) License is not that is not all new. There are some commercial progs work that way. I first met it in Adobe's Pagemaker (5.0 I believe) some years ago. You were allowed to even istall the single Licence on a server and anyone in the network could use it - as long as only one instance was running.
Several others like the new Macromedia stuff allow you to install on several machines as long as only one per licence is running.

Still, I think that's a great way to do it!
Tanstaafl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2MelOrecklin
We offer the same (in my opinion quite good) discounts to everyone, therefore we do not offer a special educational licence. We do offer a discount to students with a student identity card, though.

2wanderer
This type of licence is called a "concurrent use" licence, and it's especially suited for companies using terminal server, but it's also good for people having multiple computers. Only one licence is needed to use the program at home, at the office, on a laptop etc.! We introduced this mainly for the parallel port connection, but it's not limited to that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ghisler(Author)
Nice licence :-)
I've got 9-users licence but I didn't know it works this way ;-) Thanks Christian :-)

2MelOrecklin
As you ask for "educational pricing" I shoul ask for special price for people from Eastern Europe... current price is still high for home users HERE ... I know it doesn't cost a lot but it's still much for some people... it's sometimes 1/5 of their salary... so I'm sure many of them use it... illegal :-( but I have to understand them...
What's interesting... Many of my friends would like to... BUY TC if it was cheaper (or if they could buy multiple licence if they order together several licences) even if they don't have legal OS. Just because they think Christian's work is worth of it. MS - not :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
MelOrecklin

Post by *MelOrecklin »

Mr. Ghisler

I want to thank you very much for your personal response. I now understand both your liciencing and your logic.

Mel Orecklin, P.Eng., MBA, CAFM
Winnipeg, MB
Canada
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got 9-users licence but I didn't know it works this way
Sorry that this wasn't clear from the beginning.
I try to explain this rebate in several places which all point to the following page:
Ordering multi-user licences online

This is referenced on the page which you get before you get the Regsoft order form, and in bold red letters on the Regsoft order form itself too! I don't know where else I could explain it. :(
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well, I haven't used Regsoft. I've bought it for my company via your local reseller in Poland ;-)
I have just not noticed this sentence in the licence text.

Tell me if I understand the licence right. please.
I can install it on more computers than I have licences but I can't use it at the same time on more than 9? Am I right?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Yes your are right.
Alain
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

From what I understand (Christian correct me if I'm wrong) you can install and use TC on as many computers as you like if and only if you are the only user that uses TC on those machines.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Coco

Post by *Coco »

If you purchased 9 licenses you can run max 9 tc at the same time.

I think that many other programs are working on the same kind of licenses. At least we have here more programs working like this.
Alain
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

rom what I understand (Christian correct me if I'm wrong) you can install and use TC on as many computers as you like if and only if you are the only user that uses TC on those machines.
Yes, this is correct!
If you purchased 9 licenses you can run max 9 tc at the same time.
With 9 licences, 9 people can run the program on as many PCs as they like, even more than 9, and even at the same time!

Example: A parallel port connection only needs a single licence, although 2 TCs are involved.