Another file compare question, me confused

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rolandd

Another file compare question, me confused

Post by *rolandd »

Dear all,

After reading all the posts I could find on file and directory comparing I have not been able to reach a solution for my wish.

What I wish to do is the following:
I have many directories with images in them (downloaded from the net :P). What I am not sure of is, if there are any duplicates in all these directories. What I want to do is, compare all the files against each other to find any duplicates.

Which means, I need different ways of comparing. My idea was comparing all the files in 1 directory against themselves, comparing all the files in 1 directory against another directory.

Which eventually leaves me with no duplicates regardless of size or name of the file.

I hope I made my request is clear. I tried using file compare and directory synchronisation to no avail.

Can anybody help? :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Roland
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Standard "Find duplicate files" option isn't enough for you?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Hey djk,

First it took me some time to find the "Find duplicate files" :D When I found it (in synchronize dirs) it did not do the trick as the files had different names. Or I might be doing something wrong.

You did give me a hint to search google for duplicate files (I was just searching on compare) and found this little neat program: http://www.geocities.com/hirak_99/goodies/finddups.html

Thanks for your help anyway.

Roland
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well I meant option "Find duplicate files" in Search (Alt_F7) window in Adavanced tab.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Botak,
BTW: This is a nice tool, too - http://www.imagedupeless.com/en/index.html .

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Digistor

Post by *Digistor »

Botak,

maybe this little tutorial can be of help:

http://home.no.net/infoplus/dupes/

As you see: TC can do the trick - and TC can do it all. No need for inferior software ... :wink:

Good luck!
Licence   #17110   (1997)
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

To all of you,

At first thanks for all the USEFUL replies ;) Some way or another, all I can say is, Total Commander did it again.

The tutorial is perfect. I probably would not have figured it like that.

As digistor said, no need for inferior software :)

Thanks all and of course Christian too, can't wait to see V6.0 ;)

Roland
Registered user #92105
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

Okay gentleman, here's my problem:

Initial position 8):
You have to find duplicate files on a huge disk with a sophisticated directory-tree-structure.
- Maybe they have the same timestamp, maybe not
- sometimes you'll find 4 or ten files that are "duplicate"

Your task:
eliminate all "duplicate" files, keep only the oldest/newest

For my part I'm missing in this situation the option "mark old files", resp. "mark newer files"!

Greetings,
Cheer up, Karl
havanna

Post by *havanna »

You will run into some trouble if you want "newer files marked, what happens in case of 3 dupües with matching newest timestamp plus a couple of older dupes?
I don't think this can be resolved easily.
Why do you neet to select newer or older if the files are dupe anyway?
If it's all about images you might want to try ThumbsPlus from http://www.cerious com also.
Tanstaafl
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

havanna wrote:You will run into some trouble if you want "newer files marked, what happens in case of 3 dupües with matching newest timestamp plus a couple of older dupes?
I don't think this can be resolved easily.
Why do you neet to select newer or older if the files are dupe anyway?
At the first glance it really doesn't matter - but did you folllow the directory-time-stamp discussion? Preserving the newest/oldest file isn' just only a handy way to distinguish between the dupes, documentation is a purpose too;
you're right when they have the same timestamp one needs a decision - could be an additional option like "mark in alphabetical ascending/descending order".
havanna wrote:If it's all about images you might want to try ThumbsPlus from http://www.cerious com also.
Thanks for the tip - I already use it for 3 or 5 years - but it's just not only about images.

I think that it's a serious problem and just tried to make shure that I don't miss a secret tip/feature of our beloved TC.

Imho finding dupes is only the first step - the handling after feeding to listbox is missing!!
An old program (with some isssues, of course) is CloneMaster http://www.softbytelabs.com/Frames.html (select Products - CloneMaster).
It has exactly the way of "smart" delete that I'm thinking of.

Would be great to see this "smartness" in TC too!! 8)

Greetings,
Cheer up, Karl