TC comments <--> Zip file comments

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdmarch

TC comments <--> Zip file comments

Post by *jdmarch »

It would be very useful if TC would copy file comments (from DESCRIPT.ION etc) as zip file comments, and vice versa. (And, ideally, it would also support the edit comment command and the comment tooltip when a zip file is opened in TC as a folder).

Thanks!
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

If im not mistaking, the zip format actually supports individual comments for each file, but I've yet to see an application utilize it, they only support the main comment field.

Since Christian uses InfoZip, I doubt you'll ever see the read/write support for these individual file comments in zip files.

A step in the right direction, would be the support to view the main comments in TotalCmd.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Another approach, which seems that it would be easy to implement, would be for TC to support the presence of a descript.ion file within any archive, exactly as it now supports its presence in any actual folder.

So if one archived a folder, including descript.ion, then opened that archive as a "folder" in TC, TC would show the comments for each file in the archive.

As a second stage of support, TC could permit editing these comments for files in an archive (by actually editing the descript.ion file(s) in the archive).
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC comments <--> Zip file comments

Post by *DrShark »

Aezay wrote: 2003-10-19, 19:56 UTC If im not mistaking, the zip format actually supports individual comments for each file, but I've yet to see an application utilize it, they only support the main comment field.
If changes to descript.ion/files.bbs comments in archives won't be supported with packing operation, what about this suggestion to convert such comments to native ZIP comments?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708