Warning! Keyboard Remapping!!!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Warning! Keyboard Remapping!!!

Post by *pdavit »

Dear friends,

I’ve noticed that the majority of the command line shortcut keys along to some other shortcuts that do not correspond to an internal command but are build-in in TotalCmd can be duplicated with the Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping) ability of TC. Of course some of these shortcuts are build-in from the OS like e.g. Ctrl+C. I don’t know if cross-remapping can cause a problem in TC’s functionality!

When one of these shortcuts is defined in Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping) under Configuration -> Misc. TC displays: “Default command (no remapping)”. I think it should be best if TC displays in those cases a warning message something like: “Warning, you are about to remap a system shortcut!”. That will be a more sophisticated approach IMHO!

Go to the keyboard layout within the help file and point to the bottom at “Other keys: See command line”. Now, the majority of these keys can be remapped and TC will display “Default command (no remapping)” although the keys are assigned to do some job. There is a logical problem here and because there is no vivid solution I personally believe that a warning can be the workaround in this case.

Kind regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I think Christian once said that it would be difficult to do because TC's internal shortcuts and your own which you define are handled differently.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I’m not looking for a solution! I just proposed to collect all the keys that TC uses and are not linked to an internal command and make the Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping) display a warning message for those. From that point on it depends on the individual user to proceed with the remapping at his/her own risk!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is: Not even I have a list of all supported internal hotkeys, e.g. because Windows uses some internally, or because Shift+hotkey is sometimes treated the same as the hotkey alone...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is: Not even I have a list of all supported internal hotkeys, e.g. because Windows uses some internally, or because Shift+hotkey is sometimes treated the same as the hotkey alone...
Aha! Well, what are we here for?! We can help you to collect them! We might leave some out but that’s what debugging is for! As new releases come out we (you) will be able to eliminate all of them sooner or later! ;)

Anyway, we are talking about a warning message after all so even if some shortcuts are left out we are back to the current situation but only for those “undiscovered” ones! ;)