what is the fastes copy option in TC 5.51 ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dotanyaniv

what is the fastes copy option in TC 5.51 ?

Post by *dotanyaniv »

hi, i want to copy about 20gb of data files from server to server, and i'm looking for the fastes and safest way to do it, if i connect the servers with crox ethernet cable (100 mbps), which of the following method will give the the fastes and safest copy options :

1. By "map network drive"
2. By "Port connection to other pc..."
3. or, i'll be happy to know about another method

Thanks in advanced.
Dotan
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

2. By "Port connection to other pc..."
This feature is only used by parallel port connections through a parallel port cable, BTW.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
dotanyaniv

copy option

Post by *dotanyaniv »

thanks for replay, but i need to knoew, does parallel port can move data higher then ethernet 100mpbs ?
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

parallel port connection is much slower! I believe about 50 KB/s. Only with special cables can this be increased to about 500 kB/s. Which is still less than 100 mbps Ethernet(= ca. 12 MB/s).

Fastest way to transfer data would be to physically move the harddisk from one server to another and connect it as a slave drive and then copy the data to the new drive. (Or if one of the drives can't be moved because both servers are needed, you could use a third drive temporarily, to move the data on).
But a quick calulation gives: 20 gb using 12 MB/s Ethernet = about 30 minutes of transfer. So best just copy over the Ethernet cable (saves a lot of work).
Last edited by Maxwish on 2003-11-11, 07:44 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
...BRB...
dotanyaniv

copy option

Post by *dotanyaniv »

Thanks, i'll copy the data throu the ethernet cable.