Silent install?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zeagle

Silent install?

Post by *Zeagle »

Is there a way to install Total Commander 5.51 silently?
Something akin to MSI's /QB (ex. PowerToys\TweakUI.msi /qb) or Installshield's setup.iss files?

I'm hoping to include it in a Windows XP cd using unattended install.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Perhaps an INI file which would contain the values of all the installation options would be great. That way, TC installation would read all options from the INI and it would only ask for those options that do not exist in the INI. If everything exists then the installation would be quiet. :) I like that too.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Yes, there is, from history.txt:
04.02.02 Added: Auto-install feature to installer (no questions asked). In install.inf, section [auto], set auto=1, lang= sets language, alllang=1 installs all other languages, iniloc=c:\wincmd sets ini location, iniall=1 sets ini location for all users, mkgroup=1 creates Start menu group, mkdesktop=1 makes desktop icon. Install dir is determined by previous installation location, or [Destination], Dir=
I am not sure if there aren't even more switches/parameters, though.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

All available parameters are present in install.inf. You can open the distribution package tcmd551.exe with Ctrl+PageDown.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Zeagle

Post by *Zeagle »

Thank you for the quick reply. =)
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:All available parameters are present in install.inf. You can open the distribution package tcmd551.exe with Ctrl+PageDown.
Nice. Thank you (and Hacker) for the info. If i may make a small suggestion: if an install.inf file (or perhaps a file with a different name) exists in the same dir with the distribution file, TCmd installation would read the settings from it (or at least some settings, i.e. installation dir and the [auto] section) and not from the embedded inf file so one would not have to alter the inf file every time a new installation package is released. Another idea would be to separate the things a user may alter (installation dir, the [auto] section, etc.) and put them into another inf file (i.e. userins.inf). That way, one would just have to create his version of the userins.inf file once and then put it into the new distribution exe without having to do any more editing. Not really important but it might make things simpler.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.