Can't copy files aross a peer to peer network

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dtmitch

Can't copy files aross a peer to peer network

Post by *dtmitch »

This problem just began in the last few days.

I use W2K Pro ( Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)) and TC 5.51 - all the way back from Norton.

I have for a long time used a spare PC as a backup for the primary PC. so I copy folders of data across to it periodically. When I realized something was wrong, I also tried to copy to a notebook and got the same result.

Part way thru the copy process, TC will freeze and will not react to any commands. In different folders it will freeze at different spots but will always freeze at the same file in any particular folder. Task mgr will show TC to be running and waiting for a user command. Shutting TC down in task mgr will restore normal operation. Tried a reinstall of TC. It didn't help.

I'm stuck.
j.x

Post by *j.x »

I think it is your network connections... Pls try the Explorer, and see if there is any difference...
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
dtmitch

Post by *dtmitch »

This a followup to the original post. Can't copy files across a peer to peer network.

Turns out that the problem only occurs when copying file FROM a W2K machine. Have two W98 machines on the same net.

Copy to W2K machine is OK.
Copy between any combination of W98 is OK.
Copy from the W2K box to any other box fails.

It would seem that some recent Windows upgrade has damaged something.
dtmitch

Post by *dtmitch »

Darn, another followup -- can't copy across peer to peer ---

Windows explorer will copy OK FROM the W2K machine to any other on the network but TC won't.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Really odd - we have one Win2k machine and two Win98 machines and copy files in all directions with TC, no problems at all! Apparently something is interfering, e.g. a background virus scanner or so.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com