Small tabs request for TC6

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Small tabs request for TC6

Post by *wanderer »

So far so good with TC6. Haven't played too much with it but i havent discovered any major bugs. I have a small question though. Is there an option to place the tabs under the files listbox instead of on top of it? If not, i'd like to request it as a wish. The top part of the window has become too crowded. It would be nice if we could free some space by placing the tabs at the bottom.

Lots of nice new features in TC6. Thanx Cristian.
Last edited by wanderer on 2003-11-20, 08:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Nice suggestion. I second that!

Some rivals do follow this approach. In TC's case, since the majority of GUI elements are located on the upper section it will be a welcome addition I believe.

Off topic: I would also appreciate an option in the configurations to automatically send processes to background.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

pdavit wrote:Off topic: I would also appreciate an option in the configurations to automatically send processes to background.
I assume you know about the "AlwaysCopyInBackground=1" option in the INI and you are talking about automatically placing to background all other tasks too.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Tekumze

Post by *Tekumze »

While we're on TABs I'd like to see a change in the "lock" sign.
"*" for me is a notification that the tab (or in this case directory) was changed (new file, new subdir).

IMO it would be nicer if the tab had a lock sign on... or maybe a slightly different color (light red maybe?)

anyways it's just a though.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

First of all - thanks, Christian. For tabs and especially for the copy to clipboard from the search result!
My small wishes:
- i agree with wanderer's suggestion - option for tabs below filelist.
- when i rename tab i'd like to see this new name unchanged when i walk through directory tree.
- it's very useful option to set for each tab "home" directory and option to return to this directory via doubleclick on tab
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I really dislike having a new tab appear when attempting to navigate to a folder in a locked tab. It's really annoying.

I was hoping for a way to optionally control navigation from the folder that is the "home" for a "locked" tab.

Here was what I was hoping for:

1. A tab is created only when I request it with something like "New Tab" or "New Tab Here" (NEVER as the result of a navigation).
2. A tab properties panel with options to restrict navigation "Up" and/or "Down" from the tab's home folder. These options would cause the tab to simply ignore attempts to navigate in the restricted directions.

The tabs are a great addition to TC and I was eagerly awaiting them, but their behavior (so far) is so different from the way I work that I may end up not using them very much.

Currently they are just a different way of navigating to a favorite folder. (Their drag and drop functionality was already implemented with drag and drop folders on the toolbar.)

I know Christian put in a lot of hard work and listened carefully to all of us... I'm just disappointed with the results.

Perhaps I just have unusual work habits. I'll keep an open mind.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
j.x

Post by *j.x »

2JohnFredC
I really like the tabs! And locking a tab is (maybe) something you normally should avoid if you don't like the behaviour of a locked tab. If you need a new "root directory", try the subst command (ie "subst z: ." that gives you a "new drive z:", with it's root in current directory... :D And then, if you like, you can give the tab a more descriptive name.
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2j.x

If I don't lock the tab, I cannot maintain it's name. Also, if it isn't locked, then it has no fixed location, which defeats the purpose.

I don't need new drive letters... I didn't mean "root" directory in the literal sense, just the root of a tree, such as a hierarchy of project directories. I build software and have several projects ongoing simultaneously, each with it's own tree of folders. Subst-ing each tree to a separate SUBST drive makes no sense... and uses valuable drive letters of which there are never enough.

I expected to use tabs as a way to isolate those project trees. I want to navigate anywhere within the tree identified by the tab (but not above it) AND maintain my designated name for the tab at all times.
j.x

Post by *j.x »

2JohnFredC
Ok, now I think I got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. -And I must say I like your idea! You are suggesting that the tabs should not be directories, they should be like projects with a name on top. Or like a document name. Very interesting! Maybe this can be a future feature / option?
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
Coco

Post by *Coco »

I also don't like the idea that when I navigate in a lock tab the sub-folder open in a new tab.
Maybe an option should be added to de/activate this function.

I would like to lock some tab by ex on My documents and be able to navigate in this folder & subfolder via this locked tab.
- Using the ctrl+\ will bring me back to My Documents instead of C:
- When closing TC and reopen it this locked tab will be back on My Documents.
- The tab name will remain the one I choose
Alain
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Something else in the configuration => Screen Layout
I think that Show directory tabs should be called Show folder tabs

In the other configuration options and menu you always mention folder tabs and not directory tabs.
Alain
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

wanderer wrote:I assume you know about the "AlwaysCopyInBackground=1" option in the INI and you are talking about automatically placing to background all other tasks too.
Yeap! :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

JohnFredC wrote:I don't need new drive letters... I didn't mean "root" directory in the literal sense, just the root of a tree, such as a hierarchy of project directories. I build software and have several projects ongoing simultaneously, each with it's own tree of folders. Subst-ing each tree to a separate SUBST drive makes no sense... and uses valuable drive letters of which there are never enough.

I expected to use tabs as a way to isolate those project trees. I want to navigate anywhere within the tree identified by the tab (but not above it) AND maintain my designated name for the tab at all times.
JohnFredC wrote:I expected to use tabs as a way to isolate those project trees. I want to navigate anywhere within the tree identified by the tab (but not above it) AND maintain my designated name for the tab at all times.
Exactly what i thought. I too don't like the new tab opening when i click on a locked tab. AFAIK, subst is not officially supported in Win2K and greater and MS suggests users to stop using it. I too believe that when locking a tab, it would be nice if you would be able to navigate in subdirs but not above. Also, CTRL+\ would bring you to the topmost directory of the tab (at the time it was locked) and not the root of the drive.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
interDist

Post by *interDist »

Having an ability to define a 'root' (or 'home' - more familiar word for Windows users) for a tab is definitely a very needed feature! I thought about it too and while experimenting with tabbed navigation sensed the lack of such setting.

I think this should work as following:
  • by defaut there is no root for a tab
  • you can define such root by entering a dir, right click on tab -> set home location
    • in such case, double clicking the tab or hitting ctrl+\ will go home
    • ctrl+\+\ could be used to move to the drive root (as \ button does now)
  • a locked tab can be navigated without opening new tabs, but its name is not changed and the location is reset at TC exit
  • the dir selected at tab locking serves as the root of the tab

Do you agree?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I agree.

Repeating myself from another thread:

Tabs need the following properties.

Option of Fixed Name (no matter where the tab points).
Toggle for lock navigate "up"
Toggle for lock navigate "down"
Toggle for delete (or hide?) tab if location not present and/or:
Toggle and value for default location to use if tab's initial location is missing.
Exposed/editable mask in properties dialog value saved with tab.
Toggle to "restore tab properties upon tab activation" (or not)
Toggle to "automatically save tab properties on exit TC or load new tab file" or not.

Plus maybe an indicator (red Tab text?) when the Tab's location is invalid

Apparently there are very many ways of working with tabs, some suitable for some activities, others for entirely different activities.

Tabs should not constrain the way we work, but free it to be what it needs to be for the situation.