Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2ghisler(Author)
Hello Christian!
If my cursor is on a Word.docx file e.g., new Word format, technically a ZIP archive, and I press Ctrl-Left, then the left panel will switch to the folder where Word.docx lives. - end of action
This is one of cases. There are some technically similar cases as well - look examples in leopoldus' post - the second on the 2.nd page http://www.ghisler.ch/board/posting.php?mode=quote&p=280415&sid=b6d593f95173e0d20319f5c5bc97b9de
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Christian.

Correct. This is not the behaviour which the thread starter complained about 4.5 years ago. :wink:

The critized behaviour is this:

If my cursor is on a Word.doc file e.g., i.e. old word format, no ZIP archive, and I press Ctrl-Left, then the left panel will switch to the folder where Word.doc lives.

If, however, my cursor is on a Word.docx file, new Word format, technically a ZIP archive, and I press Ctrl-Left, then the left panel will switch to the folder where Word.docx lives and open the file Word.docx as an archive.

The desired behaviour for such archives, whcih technically are archives, but from their usage, are documents, is:
If my cursor is on a Word.docx file e.g., new Word format, technically a ZIP archive, and I press Ctrl-Left, then the left panel will switch to the folder where Word.docx lives. - end of action - Do not enter the archive in this case.
Just press the home key your on the .. and press CTRL+Left....
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Just press the home key your on the .. and press CTRL+Left....
That wil not bring you where you want to go if you are in Branch View or in a Feed to Listbox view...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2Sir_SiLvA
2petermad
Besides you will anyway lose your focus. If your aim is to put a cursor on the same .docx/.xlsx at the target pane, you will need to make it manually.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian. Hello, folks.

I would like to confirm that the reported issue "Office 2007 files regarded as archives" (3 pages back here) has been fixed in Total Commander 8.51ß2.

Tested on:
Total Commander 8.51ß2 32-bit
Linux Mint 13 32-bit, Wine 1.4.1

Thanks for resolving the problem.
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

It still has a little unexpected (= same as before) behaviour with completely unknown files (not associated with any program)(*1), which are still treated as archives. But such cases should be rare, so I'm not complaining.

(*1) For example, my e-mail client sometimes messes up attachment names, so the extension may become e.g. .docx=. It's of course not TC's problem at all.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I too can confirm that files like .docx now are not opened when using Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right in TC 8.51b2 :-)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

petermad wrote:I too can confirm that files like .docx now are not opened when using Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right in TC 8.51b2 :-)
did I miss something or is there really no switch to turn it back to DEFAULT behavior?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

is there really no switch to turn it back to DEFAULT behavior?
Not according to history.txt :-(
License #524 (1994)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

petermad wrote:I too can confirm that files like .docx now are not opened when using Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right in TC 8.51b2 :-)
Unfortunately the cursor is not positioned in the windows on ther other side.
So this is a much worse situation then before.
Tested with TC 8.51 b2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Archives which would be opened in a program with ENTER are now treated as normal non-archive files when you press Ctrl+Arrow. Since the cursor wasn't moved on normal files when you press Ctrl+Arrow, this isn't done either with .docx files. But it is done in search results, where Ctrl+Arrow usually means a directory change. I could add this for normal dirs too, but it may be confusing for some users...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Archives which would be opened in a program with ENTER are now treated as normal non-archive files when you press Ctrl+Arrow. Since the cursor wasn't moved on normal files when you press Ctrl+Arrow, this isn't done either with .docx files. But it is done in search results, where Ctrl+Arrow usually means a directory change. I could add this for normal dirs too, but it may be confusing for some users...
I guess most users will be glad if it would postion the cursor like in search results. If not they can always hit the home key to get on top,
So please change it
It will also be more consistent over all TC functions.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Archives which would be opened in a program with ENTER are now treated as normal non-archive files when you press Ctrl+Arrow. Since the cursor wasn't moved on normal files when you press Ctrl+Arrow, this isn't done either with .docx files. But it is done in search results, where Ctrl+Arrow usually means a directory change. I could add this for normal dirs too, but it may be confusing for some users...
Any chance we could get a Inisetting to get the old behavior back:?:
This is the probably first time you change something - cause of a minority - without the possibility of backwards compatibility and an option to reset it to DEAFULT behavior?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I could add this for normal dirs too
Thanks, that would be nice.

Any chance we could get a Inisetting to get the old behavior back:
Configuration options are always nice to have.
License #524 (1994)