Navigation history is global; I suggest a per-tab folder history

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xee

Navigation history is global; I suggest a per-tab folder history

Post by *xee »

Hi,

Currently I'm evaluating TC and I'm finding it good on most aspects, however one of the things that annoyed me is that folder navigation history is global, it's not per-tab, for example if you go to a folder in one tab then switch tab and use back button(on the toolbar), you go to the folder you had in the other tab, I find this not only counter-intuitive but also confusing.

Is this going to be changed soon?
risk

Post by *risk »

I see your point, however, I have mixed feelings about this. If I have many tabs open and I need to go back to an earlier folder, I'll have to hunt down the correct tab. The correct tab may have also been closed so we would need another method of accessing closed tabs!

Having said that, based on my experience with the TC community, I can see someone coming up with a workable solution.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

risk,
I can see someone coming up with a workable solution
A global history in addition to per tab histories.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
xee

Post by *xee »

I wanted to add that any tabbed application uses per-tab history, that's the conventional, more intuitive model, Examples are All tabbed browsers(Firefox, Opera, etc) and other tabbed file managers(KDE's dolphin IIRC).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have experimented with per tab history when I added the tabs, but it was just not usable. It's different from a Web browser where you normally open one site per tab, and then go to subpages of that site. In Total Commander, your PC is just one site, so you would often be in the situation where you need to go to a previous folder from a different tab.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
davop

Post by *davop »

Would this be complicated to implement as an option?
Then we could each decide if we wanted to use per-tab history or not.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it wouldn't be very difficult. I think the best solution would be two histories (one global and one per tab), but how could this be presented to the user?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
davop

Post by *davop »

Even now you have separate history for left and right tab, don't you?

As to how to present global and local history - I don't know, maybe a simple solution like using local when pressing the back button on the mouse and showing both global and local in the dropdown when you click on the drop down arrow?
You could have them separated on the drop down or mix them together and show one with bold font and the other with normal font.
Something along those lines...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The current solution isn't global. It's per side which is difficult to use.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think the best solution would be two histories (one global and one per tab), but how could this be presented to the user?
You may add two internal commands to open partial and combined history list (e.g. cm_DirectoryHistoryPerTab and cm_DirectoryHistoryPerPanel). And an option in wincmd.ini that will choose default list to be used on cm_DirectoryHistory - default value may be cm_DirectoryHistoryPerPanel.
ehab

Post by *ehab »

i also wanted to ask about this before and managed to live without... if its coming then i'd really like to have it.

Thanks for any consideration in upcoming releases.
#181344 Personal licence
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No, it wouldn't be very difficult. I think the best solution would be two histories (one global and one per tab), but how could this be presented to the user?
On some standard controls, it has a down arrow to the right with a list of recently opened files (Win7-Startmenu).

It would also be possible to use the context menu of tabs for the specific history.

It would be good if you could delete sporadic entries in the tab history and rearrange with drag and drop.
Deutsch:
Auf manchen Standardkontrollen hat es rechts einen Abwärtspfeil mit einer Liste der zuletzt geöffneten Dateien (Win7-Startmenu).

Es wäre auch möglich, das Kontextmenü der Tabs für die spezifische History zu nutzen.

Es wäre gut, wenn man vereinzelte Einträge in der Tab-History löschen könnte und mittels Drag&Drop neu anordnen.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Yes, two separate internal commands.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

++

This would be very useful.

The per-panel recent-folder history gets very disorganized when you close a tab.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

For example the Opera browser; a short click goes back one page, holding the mouse for a bit reveals the tab history -Global history can be accessed in a side panel window that can also display mail, bookmarks, etc.

http://yfrog.com/5jbackintabj

Not so sure if a side panel is feasible, but maybe it could share a few functions like directory tree, favorites, directory hotlist, and -why not- libraries.