F2 for renaming doesn't works

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

milcheloveck

Re: F2 for renaming doesn't works

Post by *milcheloveck »

petermad wrote: 2020-02-01, 16:04 UTC So since [Shortcuts] is NOT redirected with the AlternateUserIni setting you have to put it in wincmd.ini - or you can make a manual redirection of that section with:
I added to Wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
RedirectSection=WincmdUser.ini
And in WincmdUser.ini:

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
F2=cm_RenameSingleFile
A+F2=cm_RightOpenDrives
Then, I restarted TC. However, this did not work. What else should I do?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2milcheloveck
Does F2 work in Explorer? If not, you might have some keyboard where the F-keys have some secondary (or rather primary) function, e.g. Save a file or something. In such cases, the keyboard usually has some key to toggle between primary and secondary functions.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
milcheloveck

Post by *milcheloveck »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-01, 19:13 UTC Does F2 work in Explorer? If not, you might have some keyboard where the F-keys have some secondary (or rather primary) function, e.g. Save a file or something. In such cases, the keyboard usually has some key to toggle between primary and secondary functions.
You're right! F2 does not work - neither in Explorer nor in Excel. I did not edit the keyboard functions after installing Windows 10. Therefore, I can not understand the reason. How can i fix this?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2milcheloveck
As I said: Do you have a keyboard with such primary/secondary functions? Note that this has nothing to do with the OS itself, it's a (hardware) keyboard feature*.

*) I call such function a misfeature because the F-keys are F-keys, not something else which can be had via other hotkeys...

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Sometimes you have to change in the BIOS whether you want the F-keys to work as multimedia keys or F-keys. Maybe installing Windows 10 has reset that BIOS setting.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
milcheloveck

Post by *milcheloveck »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-01, 21:05 UTC As I said: Do you have a keyboard with such primary/secondary functions? Note that this has nothing to do with the OS itself, it's a (hardware) keyboard feature*.
*) I call such function a misfeature because the F-keys are F-keys, not something else which can be had via other hotkeys...
Guys, thanks for forcing me to research! ))

After several methods, the direct path helped me: I turned off many applications at Startup and found the culprit. Of course it was me - I ordered my TheBat to receive keys by pressing F2. And he simply robbed system F2 when boot. From the point of view of coding, such an interception is unacceptable. But this is the state of things: TheBat is a very ancient program that transfers its childhood diseases from version to version. Now my TC is working correctly.

Thank you very much!
Last edited by milcheloveck on 2020-02-02, 14:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod="Hacker"]Moved to the English forum.[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

milcheloveck wrote: 2020-02-02, 13:33 UTC[...] because I ordered my TheBat to receive letters by pressing the F2 key. And he simply robbed F2 of the system when it booted.
Strange. I've been using The Bat! since 2002 and TC shortly after that and never experienced something like this - and yes, I've mapped F2 to cm_RenameSingleFile. Did you set special options for that in TB? By default The Bat! fetches new mails for the current account when pressing F2, but only when the program has the focus; and it has been doing so for decades. However, I must admit that I'm using an older version 4.x of TB, so maybe they broke something in newer releases. (And you're right that they never fix some bugs...)

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

milcheloveck

Post by *milcheloveck »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-02, 13:59 UTC Strange. I've been using The Bat! since 2002 and TC shortly after that and never experienced something like this - and yes, I've mapped F2 to cm_RenameSingleFile. Did you set special options for that in TB? By default The Bat! fetches new mails for the current account when pressing F2, but only when the program has the focus; and it has been doing so for decades. However, I must admit that I'm using an older version 4.x of TB, so maybe they broke something in newer releases. (And you're right that they never fix some bugs...)
At first I thought - the problem is in Autostart and removed TheBat from there. The problem in TC has disappeared. But then I started TheBat and the problem reappeared. Everything was confirmed: TheBat intercepts keyboard shortcuts - regardless of focus and Autostart. As a result, I had to remove all combinations from TheBat. In this situation, it would be better to create a bat-file or look in the documentation for a start parameters.

P.S. Although, probably it will be superfluous - TheBat already has its own F2 and Alt + F2. I did an unnecessary job when I assigned this extra. But I did not expect TheBat to intercept these Windows combinations. As far as I remember, Windows 7 did not have such a problem.