wish: more than 2 panes (dynamically)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Chasbas,

:D

Roman
P.S.: Talking about politics - today (and tomorrow) is the EU referendum here...(!)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

To George Hara

You wrote:
There is no file-manager with an undo function for copy / move operations.
Actually there is. DOpus maintains an undo list of actions you can reverse. Copies, moves, and renames are maintained in the list in chronological order.

I'm not promoting DOpus over TC (I LOVE TC), but it does have a few good ideas and well implemented functions all of us would find useful if they were present in TC.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
George Hara

Post by *George Hara »

Do you mean that the undo list works as the restore function of the Recycle Bin, or just like any undo function from an editor (which works only if you don't make any other operation).

If you mean like a restore function of the Recycle Bin, then would you trust a program to undo a move operation, for example, on Windows2000/XP, when source and destination files have to be deleted and saved for the undo, and preserve extensive undo information for: extended attributes (like encryption), hard-links, parse and reparse points, junctions for directories (which can lead anywhere in the system), streams, restore the originally deleted files, overwrite (or move, delete) files with the same names that are in the place of what once were either the source or destination files?

Grrr...
George Hara

Post by *George Hara »

Do you mean that the undo list works as the restore function of the Recycle Bin, or just like any undo function from an editor (which works only if you don't make any other operation).

If you mean like a restore function of the Recycle Bin, then would you trust a program to undo a move operation, for example, on Windows2000/XP, when source and destination files have to be deleted and saved for the undo, and preserve extensive undo information for: extended attributes (like encryption), hard-links, parse and reparse points, junctions for directories (which can lead anywhere in the system), streams, restore the originally deleted files, overwrite (or move, delete) files with the same names that are in the place of what once were either the source or destination files? And all these things in a multi-tasking environment, where files (and entire directories) can be modified by any other program.

Grrr...
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Here is the DOpus help page about its undo function (available as a scriptable command):
The Undo command provides access to the Directory Opus undo system. This lets you undo many file actions that you have made, including copies, renames and deletes (if the Recycle Bin has been used). When used by itself, with no options specified, this command undoes the last performed file command. The command template for this command is:

PAGE/S, LIST/S, LISTMENU/S, ITEM/K

· PAGE/S: The PAGE option opens the Output Window and displays the Undo page, where you can see the list of undoable actions and selectively undo them.

· LIST/S: This option acts as a dynamic command and generates a list of all undoable actions. You can select an item from this list to undo a specific action without having to undo all actions in the list.

· LISTMENU/S: This option is the same as the LIST option except that the undo items are displayed in a popup submenu rather than in the Toolbar or menu itself. If there are no undoable items, the submenu is not displayed at all.

· ITEM/K: This option lets you undo a specific action in the Undo list. You must specify the action number to undo.
As you can see, very powerful.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I want to reiterate that I am not promoting DOpus on this list or anywhere else. It has its problems, not the least being that if anything, it has too many options and some uncustomizable behaviors that I don't care for. So I don't use it.

I use TC exclusively.

My sole purpose is to introduce ideas into the discussion.
George Hara

Post by *George Hara »

I tried a few months ago to register (for the free trial) DOpus, but the connection stalled and I cut it. After that I tried again but it said I can't register again, so I dropped it.

The commands you explained don't say anything about the underlying technology, they don't show when and what is DO capable of undoing.

What I want to draw to your attention is that not even MS has such a function (in WindowsExplorer)... and they are supposed to know everything about the OS. Actually I think MS thought about this, because the "SHFileOperation" has an undo option (which says "Preserve Undo information, if possible"), but I don't know if it can work with anything else than delete.

Besides, you know how slow the Recycle Bin is (compared with a simple delete in TC), so why implement a function that would slow down file processing a few times?!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Hacker wrote:P.S.: Talking about politics - today (and tomorrow) is the EU referendum here...(!)
Good luck!
We are going to have it at the beginning of June.

P.S. I know it's OT and not interesting for most people here but... it's one of the most important days in our history.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Well I have tried the undo thing in DOpus several times. It manages the list of possible undos apparently in a separate thread. As the possible undos change, so does the list...

Obviously not everything you do with the tool makes it to the list. Plus it makes no atttempt to track other processes/applications.

Anyway, all I can say is it seems to work adequately in my environment (small network of 3 computers).
leon fietsbel

Post by *leon fietsbel »

Many people are using multiple instances of TC to work with many directories semi-simultaneously. This being a bit awkward, there have been several requests to make it possible to work with multiple windows, or tabs, in TC. Christian's opinion on this matter is that it would disrupt the source-target paradigm used for many commands, like Copy (from source to target) or Move (likewise). The users, however, pointed out, that it could work if the two file windows were divided into tabs, between which they could switch to their liking and there would always be only two tabs visible, thus keeping the source-target relationship. Christian hasn't expressed his opinion on this idea yet.
I hope this solution will be looked at by mr. ghisler. I'd love to have 2 panes (source target ‘as it is supposed to be’) with a couple of tabs underneath (like in netscape 6.5 , I heard ;-) so I don't need to open multiple instances of wincommander, sorry, total commander anymore! In the tabs the map history could be placed or maybe some manual shortcuts to often used maps.

cheerz
Leon