wish: more than 2 panes (dynamically)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

haram

Post by *haram »

hmm... look really good, and one more suggestion: let each tab contain its folder path
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

let each tab contain its folder path

:?: How? Instead of its name? Wouldn't that be too long?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
haram

Post by *haram »

Hacker wrote:let each tab contain its folder path

:?: How? Instead of its name? Wouldn't that be too long?
yes, you are right. having tooltip with full path when the mouse is over the tab is enough
kaya

Post by *kaya »

nice idea!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I thought I liked the idea of tabs in Total Commander. That screenshot of the multiple tabs for each pane is interesting. After thinking about it, I decided I would prefer that the tabs apply to pairs of panels instead of individual panels.

That said, though, I already have my favorites set up with source and destination paths, so that when I select a favorite, both panels change to the paths I desire.

Since this already works fantastically good, I conclude that tabs explicitly displayed in the TotalCommander window would be superfluous and I definitely wouldn't want Christian to waste time on them.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

...I conclude that tabs explicitly displayed in the TotalCommander window would be superfluous ...
Disagree! I think it's very useful option. If i need work with 5-6 directories only for couple of hours, i don't want to add them to favorites. I keep in favorites really favorites but not something temporary.
...and I definitely wouldn't want Christian to waste time on them.
Agree! Actually i don't see reasons why this feature cannot be implemented as plugin or addon. :)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Disagree! I think it's very useful option. If i need work with 5-6 directories only for couple of hours, i don't want to add them to favorites. I keep in favorites really favorites but not something temporary.
Well now, I hadn't thought about that. I do the temporary folder pairs thing all the time, too.

Still not sure I would want a tabbed interface, but perhaps the history list could ask if I wanted to restore a pair of panels instead of just the left or right.

That could complicate the history list considerably, though.

Hmmm
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

the tabbed interface is a great idea! as great as Mozilla is! but are you sure the link http://www.soreno.dk/tab_totalcmdr.png works? It doesn't for me, and it is not because my browser aint have the support ... i wish i could see for once.. :?
===========================
I am in love with ghisler... no speculations please! you know why ...
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Note that the link was posted on 15 of february, that's around 1.5 month's ago... as usually is with this type of files the owner has probably removed it already.

EDIT: With a little inspiration I've browsed to soreno's site and found the following:
http://www.soreno.dk/images/tab_totalcmdr.png
So my analysis was wrong, he didn't remove it but rather organized in the correct folder..

Cheers.
Conderock

Great idea!

Post by *Conderock »

Great idea!
As option.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

An alternative approach that will keep the two file panes (not so much work for Christian to implement the new feature) but at the same time improve directory navigation (similar to multi-tabbed panes) could be to introduce “temporary directory history list bookmarking”.

I know that we already have folder bookmarking by the use of Ctrl+D but as mentioned here before nobody uses it for storing temporary folder paths as it is time consuming and unpractical. So, it would be nice if we could be able to bookmark specific folders within the directory history list (Alt+Down Arrow) and at the same time have a clever and easy/fast method to recall the paths to be used.

The history list is quite useful as it is now but sometimes the list becomes so long including at the same time long paths that browsing within the list can be painstakingly hard and/or time-consuming. Being able to bookmark entries within the list and have an easy way to recall them (e.g. shortcuts) can do the trick. That is temporarily as the list itself is temporary and terminating TC clears the entries. AFAIK multi-panes are temporary any way and even if some file managers do have a feature for fixed ones then I guess TC has the Directory Hotlist to do the very same think with a different approach on the other hand.

I believe in this way we can marry the two-panel approach we already have with the advantages of multi-panes flexibility. Not to mention that this would be hugely easier to code by our guru!

Now, lets hear (if you agree on this approach) some suggestion on how this should work so that we can evaluate if it would be useful and to help Christian to implement the feature if it’s finally welcome.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
George Hara

Post by *George Hara »

Here is an alternative solution to this problem (multiple panes). Take a look this. Please forgive me for advertising to another file manager, but I simply want to show you that there is a much more efficient solution for navigation than tabs.
Last edited by George Hara on 2004-07-23, 19:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
haram

Post by *haram »

George Hara wrote:Here is an alternative solution to this problem (multiple panes). Take a look http://www.filematrix.xnet.ro/ideas/filematrix/filematrix.png.
could you please give us more simple view to show the concept?
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

I simply want to show you that there is a much more efficient solution for navigation than tabs.
Hm... We are definitely use word "efficiency" in different meanings.
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

All I want to know is: Does FileMatrix have an "undo" function or Natural Sorting?

From the looks of that screen it would be easier to retype a file from scratch than to copy it from one directory to another.