Folder names, and File Icons

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DKilleen

Folder names, and File Icons

Post by *DKilleen »

I've noticed that folder names don't follow the colors of WinXP Pro. For example, a folder that is encrypted should have it's name in green type. With Total Commander this doesn't happen. Also, compressed files all have the same icon. This shouldn't be. RAR files should have the WinRAR icon. Zip files should also have their own icon. Using Explorer the icons are there. With Total Commander there is a little yellow "rubics cube" looking box.

How to I get TC to use the Windows default icons, and type color?

Thank you
DKilleen
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

:(

Why in the world would the program NOT allow the use of default Windows icons? Makes no sense to me. I can see allowing a user to not use the defaults, but to make them unavailable?

Yep, I found the text color option, but you mis-understood the question. When you encrypt a folder using WinXP Pro, the name of the folder shows up in green. The options/color tab is as far as I can tell for changing the color of individual file names. NOT of folder names.

Thank you
DKilleen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC only shows custom folder icons if the folder has the hidden, system or read only attribute. This is used by Explorer itself to mark custom icons.

Concerning the coloring of the text: TC uses its own custom coloring schemes, via Configuration - Options - Colors. However, currently only compressed is supported from the special Win2k attributes, not encrypted.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

Ok. So there is no way to get the correct icon short of marking the file's attributes as you stated above?

Thank you
DKilleen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

Ok, thanks.
DKilleen
neofit

Post by *neofit »

Sorry for having dug out such an old post, if anything it shows that I did use the 'Search' function :)
ghisler(Author) wrote:However, currently only compressed is supported from the special Win2k attributes, not encrypted.
If I understand this correctly, on Win2K, TC should color the names of the compressed files in different color. If this is the case, can you please explain how I can make this work?

I am using the good old Norton Commander color scheme: no icons, dark blue background and cyan font color. My compressed files show in the same color as the other ones - light cyan.

I have looked at the 'Define colors by file type' window, but cannot figure out how to make it recognize compressed files on NTFS. I tried to create a new file type, '*.*' and 'compressed' as the only attribute - TC does not change the color. Anyway, this file type does not find anything when I use it in the Alt-F7 search window, this may be the cause. I am sure I have compressed files in my directory, Windows Explorer clearly shows them as blue files.

Thanks for your attention. Any ideas?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

neofit wrote:Sorry for having dug out such an old post, if anything it shows that I did use the 'Search' function :)
ghisler(Author) wrote:However, currently only compressed is supported from the special Win2k attributes, not encrypted.
If I understand this correctly, on Win2K, TC should color the names of the compressed files in different color. If this is the case, can you please explain how I can make this work?

I am using the good old Norton Commander color scheme: no icons, dark blue background and cyan font color. My compressed files show in the same color as the other ones - light cyan.

I have looked at the 'Define colors by file type' window, but cannot figure out how to make it recognize compressed files on NTFS. I tried to create a new file type, '*.*' and 'compressed' as the only attribute - TC does not change the color. Anyway, this file type does not find anything when I use it in the Alt-F7 search window, this may be the cause. I am sure I have compressed files in my directory, Windows Explorer clearly shows them as blue files.

Thanks for your attention. Any ideas?
Make sure the other attributes checkboxes states are set to indeterminate not to unchecked.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 17-06-2003 20:46:04 +0000 neofit wrote:

n> If I understand this correctly, on Win2K, TC should color
n> the names of the compressed files in different color.

Actually, it works with any NT-based OS on NTFS partitions. If you configure it appropriate way, of course. BTW, it's interesting, would it work with NTFS98 under 9x... %)

n> If this is the case, can you please explain how I can make
n> this work?

1. "Alt"+"F7"
2. Clear all in "General".
3. In "Advanced" select "A&ttributes: | Compressed", do not change anything else.
4. "Load/Save | S&ave | OK", call it "Compressed files", for example.
5. Check combo "Settings | Color | &Define colors by file type..." and press the button.
6. "Define colors by file type | &Add... | Specify file type | >Compressed files | Ok", select the color you like (but not light cyan).
7. Press "Ok" appropriate number of times.

Should work.[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

BTW, it's interesting, would it work with NTFS98 under 9x... %)
It alldepends on whether the FindFirstFile function returns the special NTFS attributes or not. I assume not.
neofit

Post by *neofit »

@Black Dog

This was exactly what I had done up to the name of the file type, and it did not work... But since I am being told that is is supposed to work I re-did it again, and then, looking at the 'Attributes' pane in the 'Advanced' tab, I noticed that I had unchecked all the attributes and left 'Compressed' as checked. Then it struck me: by doing this I was asking for a search on all files that had the 'Compressed' attribute ON and all the others as OFF. I greyed out all the other attributes and bingo, nice green color for all compressed files and folders.

Thanks.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 18-06-2003 22:02:19 +0000 neofit wrote:

n> @Black Dog

What exactly at me, neo? %)

n> I noticed that I had unchecked all the attributes and left
n> 'Compressed' as checked.

It was the first I'd thought about, actually. I even wanted to capitalize "do not change anything else" :).

n> Thanks.

Any time.[/face]