Delete in background?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Laurent

Delete in background?

Post by *Laurent »

It seems most Total Commander operations (copy, move, FTP, etc.) can be done in the background. However, delete operations always block the interface and cannot be put in the background. It's a pity because it means everytime I need to delete many files, I have to use Explorer to keep accessing the rest of my files.

So is there any feature or option somewhere to allow TC to delete in the background?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You have the button 'Background' in delete dialog, just click it.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

MVV:
You have the button 'Background' in delete dialog, just click it.
In which version of TC is the [Background] button in the delete dialog??

I've tested in TC 7.57 & 8.0 Beta 23 and it is not there... :(

Is there an option in the configuration panel to enable in order to get the [Background] button in delete dialog?

Thanks!
I Love Total Commander!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2sidefx88

There is no Background button in the Delete dialog - but there is a Background button in the delete Progress dialog - the one with the two (usually green) progress bars - so once you have started the deletion you can put it in the background.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

You're right!
Thanks!
I Love Total Commander!
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

But... maybe it would be great to add a box to check [Background] to avoid the wait which insumes TC conting/calculating files to delete. When I confirm the deletion of multiple dirs containing lots of subdirs and thousands of files... it takes lots of time :)
I Love Total Commander!
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

press Esc key and the delete operation will start immediately ;)
#146217 personal license
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

Actually, if you select "Use Explorer delete method (faster)" in the options, you won't get the Background button and you'll have to wait till the end of the operation before being able to use TC again. That would be great if this operation could be started in a separate thread or process.

Will go back to use TC's delete method since this one has the Background button.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Laurent is right, it doesn't work. But there might be someone who would appreciate, if deleting using Explorer delete method (Win95Delete) would start in a separate thread so one could continue working with TC. Just like it works with Explorer copy method (ExplorerForCopy).

However now, when VistaDelete is enabled by default, there's no way of deleting in background. One would have to manually (through wincmd.ini) revert back to standard delete method.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, I've tested with Shift+Delete (I'm using it almost always) so button was there. :D
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

AntonDudarenko wrote:press Esc key and the delete operation will start immediately ;)
If I press Esc while the delete operation is in progress, it will just cancel it. Am I missing something?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Laurent, after confirming deletion TC counts files to be removed and then starts to remove them. You can cancel counting by pressing Esc, and TC won't show second progress bar but will allow to send task to background immediately.

Unfortunately TC doesn't allow to disable counting on deleting w/o disabling counting on copying, only both together with the single option (Configuration - Operation - Calculate space occupied by subdirectories).
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

Hmm... I tried with the "calculate space" option both on and off and in both cases the operation starts with no Background button. If I press Esc, the dialog will just close without deleting anything. I'm probably missing something here. Any idea?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I was talking about native TC delete method and not Explorer method which is used to delete to Recycle Bin.

BTW even with default delete method (to Recycle Bin) I can see 'Background' button in delete progress window, only confirmation is shown by Windows.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

This suggestion appeared in different forms a number of times here in the forum, but it is still not implemented in a way it requested.

If for some reason "in background" button can't be added to confirmation delete dialog, why just F2 key can't be catched in it by TC and with next auto-press background button in delete progress dialog when it appears?

It can be also implemented in similar way for brake/combine and crc checking operations.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708