[feature suggestion] Associate an FSplugin to a drive letter

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bago

[feature suggestion] Associate an FSplugin to a drive letter

Post by *bago »

It would be useful to me if FS-plugins could be "associable" to drive letters.

This way I could use ALT-F1-<letter> and ALT-F2-<letter> to access them :D .

I'm not sure I "like" this feature :?: , but I really don't like them to be in the "\" item :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

For real drive letters, the plugin writers would have to write a true file system driver. This isn't officially documented by Microsoft, and to get the docs, you have to sign agreements and keept it all secret etc. I created the file system plugin interface because it's much easier this way.

I could perhaps make them accessible like ftp connections (through numbers), but I think that the current solution is acceptable. Just add your favorite plugins to the Ctrl+D menu!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

For real drive letters, the plugin writers would have to write a true file system driver. This isn't officially documented by Microsoft, and to get the docs, you have to sign agreements and keept it all secret etc. I created the file system plugin interface because it's much easier this way.
I think that as a workaround, a possibility to add user defined folders to Alt+F1/F2 will suit Bago
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2ghisler(Author)
Christian, why don't you want to implement it? :( It's seems so simple. Writing driver is much more complex. In any case, this doesn't oblige any user to assign FS plugins to some letter. But those who find it convenient would be able to do this and be happy :).
apz

Post by *apz »

Valentino: because I have all of my drive letters mapped already, I even
map my b: drive.

I do agree that having them in the list, possibly with a number would be nice, but then my current count of FS Plugins is 10 already, so that does not pan out well either.
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

I do agree that having them in the list, possibly with a number would be nice, but then my current count of FS Plugins is 10 already, so that does not pan out well either.
So, Is it new plugin window you need. Network Neighbourhood is not the best place Plugins to be accessible at. Though I don't see any suitable solution for now. In FAR (Would it be GUI I may have been using FAR) you press F11 and see all the plugins installed in a special window and can easily access them. I think it's not bad idea, on the other hand I do not see any desperate need to it. One can place all his plugins in a HotDirectory Menu, and access them from there, as I did.
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

Christian Ghisler replied to similar question that he wants to get rid of drive letters in favour of network neighbourhood.

I don't agree on that from a usage perspective and will try to summarize:
(I don't know the technical details about writing drivers, plugins etc.)

Directory Hotlist offers jump to a predefined position
Directory History offers scroll back through all former locations within a tc panel

Network neighbourhood or one common tree for all local and remote file systems has the advantage of not beeing limited to a number of drive letters
The drive letter has the advantage of keeping trak of the relative position within the drive and a change drive puts one back to the former position within that drive

If a drive letter can be seen as a generic "entry point" to a common tree structure for all file systems the needed functionality for a "best of both" would be:

- allow definition of an entry point (by a name) within the common tree
- keep trak of movement within that entry point
- extend drive list by that entry point
- extend directory hotlist by that entry point

By that it would (for example) be possible to jump back to the last visited directory of a SecureFTP connection using the associated entry point name

What's your opinion?