[feature suggestion] regular expressions in multirename-tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

acnapyx

Post by *acnapyx »

Most of the programs I use, rely on regex for such functions as search, replace, rename etc. The usage of regex in Multi-rename will be highly useful, and possibly those (the experienced users), who will need it, will learn how to use it. about the others IMHO... I doubt that even 50% of them do know at all about the existence of the Multi-rename tool (or even if they know, they don't use it at all).
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

i'd like to have this feature too,i miss it very often when renaming my files...

i dont mind if 95% of Tc users even dont know about multi-renamer tool. TC is for experienced users,not for 12years old kid who know what is "F5" for... (for copying cracked game.exe to the game directory) :wink:
Spaghettificus

Post by *Spaghettificus »

I really don't need regular expressions in the search dialog or the rename tool. I've wanted them in the past, but the truth is, I have the opportunity to use RE in MSVC 6.0, but I NEVER USE THE THINGS.

*whatever* works for me nearly always!
bago

Post by *bago »

Spaghettificus wrote:I really don't need regular expressions in the search dialog or the rename tool. I've wanted them in the past, but the truth is, I have the opportunity to use RE in MSVC 6.0, but I NEVER USE THE THINGS.

*whatever* works for me nearly always!
We are talking about regexp in the multirename tool and not in the search dialog. In the rename it would really be useful compared with the current way.

I think there are more people that know how to use PCRE (basic grouping) that people that know what [F][N1-4][L][N5-] means. And PCRE are powerful!
License #55385
bago

Post by *bago »

Here are links to resources about using PCREs under windows:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/Contrib/pcre-3.9-win32-bin.zip
http://www.zeitungsjunge.de/delphi/Pcre/

Just if Christian can be interested in this :mrgreen:
License #55385
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]Well, I completely agree with acnapyx, I think Commander should support regular expressions in all search-related operations. This is my post on this subject from an old forum:

"People, tell me plz, who is this poor thing, fabulous "Average User"? Some kind of jerk?
I don't think so. IMNSHO I am the average user. And I DO need regular expressions support in Commander.
Anyone who can read and write and want to know what is this such a complex thing - regular expressions, may tipe "regular expressions" in Google, for example and get more than enough information. And learn how to use it. Or just ignore this feature, like they ignore FTP-client, color filters, plugins or any other things sure made not for Average Users."

BTW, I started a poll.[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2003-04-06, 22:44 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TotalNewbie

Post by *TotalNewbie »

TC is more a advanced user file browsers.
No wizards/animated icons/etc.

Agreed other utils can do the same.
So also strip things like quickview window etc?

Expressions is very powerfull and once discovered by the user they will like them.
Maybe they only use a few/simple ones but still it makes their life easier.
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

Ok, I think I can just throw my 2?¢ in as well while we're at it ...

I do think that RegEx support in Total Commander would be very nice --and not just in the MultiRename tool, but also in all Search dialogs (in Lister, in "FindFile" both for filenames and text to search for, ...). Of course, with a switch (checkbox) to activate/deactivate it).

Ok, not everybody will use them. Maybe only a few will; but is it that hard to implement to not be worth?