SkyDrive: ignore 'Please remove the write protection!'

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wisekat

SkyDrive: ignore 'Please remove the write protection!'

Post by *wisekat »

I'm using TC to make backups of my local files to an external HDD. One of the folders to backup is the special SkyDrive folder in my Windows 8.1. I'd like to backup only the contents available offline from this folder.

When I'm copying files, all works fine until TC tries to copy some files marked as 'available online-only' in this SkyDrive folder. I get the "Please remove the write protection!" message for those files - even if I tick the "Skip all which cannot be opened for reading" check box in the extended options of the Copy dialog.

Is there a way to ignore such copy errors silently without interrupting the copy process?

I also need this for the Synchronize directories dialog.
Last edited by wisekat on 2014-11-03, 11:37 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You cannot read these online only files with the normal Windows functions like CopyFileEx. It looks like Microsoft "forgot" to implement that.

Instead, you need to first make them available online. This can be done via context menu (long right click or Shift+F10). The Explorer copy method may also work: Ctrl+C Tab Ctrl+V.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Christian, I do not need to read them - I need to SKIP them. In my understanding, the "Skip all which cannot be opened for reading" option should do that. Is it a bug in TC, or do I understand anything wrong?

It was also unclear from the original version of my post what I need to do so I corrected it to make my problem clear.

P.S. And I guess, you wanted to write that I need to make those files available OFFline - but as you can see now, this is not what I need.
CAP-Team

OneDrive support Total Commander

Post by *CAP-Team »

It would be nice if Total Commander would fully support OneDrive so that you can actually sync files from and to OndDrive whether the files are online only or offline and online.

Right now you can only handle files correctly if the files are made offline. If the files are online only they look like hidden in Total Commander.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Guys, you suggested one interesting idea how I can overcome this problem in the current version of TC. After reading the previous post I realized that I can turn displaying of hidden files off, so it might help in my situation. Unfortunately, it does not help. TC still tries to copy every online-only file, and it displays the "Please remove the write protection!" message again and the process stops.

I am a programmer with about 20-year experience (mainly writing for the Windows OS), and I do not understand why this problem can't be processed in TC. According to MSDN, CopyFileEx is a classic WinAPI function in the terms of reporting problems. If it fails when we try to copy a file, it does not throw an exception or something like this that can cause the whole TC stop working - it just returns the corresponding Boolean value we can analyze and skip the problem file...
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Christian, any news or thoughts regarding this problem?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hiding hidden files should fix it.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

As I wrote in my previous post, it did not help. Am I doing something wrong? I opened Configuration\Options, then the Display setting group, then unchecked 'Show hidden files'.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It should for normal file operations. However, "Synchronize directories" uses its own settings for hidden/system files.

From the help section about wincmd.ini:
SyncHideHiddenSystem=0

Allows to exclude hidden/system files from synchronizing:
0: Do not hide hidden/system files
1: Hide if the files on both sides have hidden or system attribute
2: Hide if any of the two files has hidden or system attribute
Add 4: Consider hidden/system flag in main program

So try
SyncHideHiddenSystem=6
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Yes, SyncHideHiddenSystem=2 works for me!!!

I would not use SyncHideHiddenSystem=6 in my case as I prefer to see all files including system and hidden ones in my TC panels.
wisekat

Re: SkyDrive: ignore 'Please remove the write protection!'

Post by *wisekat »

It seems, the setting SyncHideHiddenSystem=2 stopped working in the v9.20. At least, now TC tries to sync the hidden folder .tmp.drivedownload created by Google's Backup and Sync even if SyncHideHiddenSystem equals 2.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have compared the source of TC 9.20 and 9.12, there is no difference where SyncHideHiddenSystem is used.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

I have the IISExpress subfolder in my Documents folder. I set the Hidden attribute for the IISExpress folder to see only the folders I created manually and I would like to exclude this IISExpress folder (and some other hidden folders) from the synchronization too. Unfortunately, all these hidden folders are included in synchronization in the Synchronize directories dialog in TC. Try to reproduce this behavior yourself.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

A question of another kind. Can we exclude folders from synchronization using another filter? Or is there a way to specify what particular folders should be excluded from synchronization manually one-by-one (say, D:\Documents\IISExpress, etc.)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

SyncHideHiddenSystem only works on files, not on folders. Why? The left and right side are read one after the other, so TC cannot know whether a folder has the hidden attribute on both sides before actually finishing the comparison. With SyncHideHiddenSystem!=0, it removes the files matching the options after the comparison is done. This would be very inefficient with folders.

But you can exclude folders by name, via the box between the two paths. Replace the text *.* with something like this:
*.* | folder1\ folder2\ folder3\
This will exclude the named 3 subolders anywhere in the search path, including all subdirectories.