It's time to release TC 9.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Here's another function requested several times earlier: more flexible directory comparison. For now, TC implements only a very basic and totally unconfigurable cm_CompareDirs/cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs command. If you need a different behaviour, even a little bit - you have to go to SyncDirs with its totally different working scenario and detachment from the file panels, which may be very inconvenient.

The suggestion is to improve the directory comparison function by displaying a dialog where user will select checkboxes for comparison criteria, that is, what TC should take into account: date/time of the files, or its presence/absence, or the file size, etc., or any combination of them. I drew a simple mock-up for how this dialog might look like:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tcbeta90/compare_dirs_dlg_mock_up.png

Here's how it could be implemented:
  • A new command cm_CompareDirsWithDlg is added, which would display the dialog (default hotkey can be, for example, Alt+Shift+F2); pressing OK performs the comparison and selects files according to the options.
  • If "Remember options" checkbox is set when clicking OK, the currently selected comparison options are saved into wincmd.ini; say, in [face=courier][CompareOptions][/face] section.
  • A new wincmd.ini key is added: [face=courier][Configuration]::CompareDirsUseOptions[/face], which works like follows:
    • if [face=courier]CompareDirsUseOptions=0[/face], then the dialog-less commands cm_CompareDirs, cm_DirMatch and cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs work just like in TC <= 8.5 (particularly, always compare by name+time);
    • if [face=courier]CompareDirsUseOptions=1[/face], then:
      • cm_CompareDirs performs comparison according to the options stored in [face=courier][CompareOptions][/face];
      • cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs does the same, but compares also subdirectories even if this option was turned off;
      • cm_DirMatch also works like cm_CompareDirs, but forcibly hides unselected files, even if this option was turned off.
This way even the users who like the old behavior won't suffer: they will just set [face=courier]CompareDirsUseOptions=0[/face], clear the [face=courier][CompareOptions][/face] section (if they created it during testing) and continue to use the same old commands they've become accustomed to.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

2flint
SyncDirs is in no way detached from the file panels
it starts with the dirs from both panels as everyone expects.
For me SyncDirs contains all major options I want for comparing and synchronizing trees.
There will always be wishes for very user specific options.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:2Horst.Epp
There is no elevation problem with Everything using its service.
I guess most desktop users will install it this way.
So it seems that I have to install an external 3rd party software in order to search my local disks in a performant way. For many professional users* this means fast searches in their Windows and Program Files folders. All the interesting stuff on the network or even remote where searching is especially slow cannot be found faster.

*I guess we agree that TC a tool for professionals.
Yes, I agree.
But the current Everything version contains all for this needs.
You can add folder indexing on non NTFS volumes and file lists for very special needs. Also there is an ETP and HTTP server feature which even allows to search complete remote Windows file systems.
So why should TC duplicate all this functions internaly.
There would still be the need for some service function to overcome the security problems for an complete index..
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Horst.Epp wrote:SyncDirs is in no way detached from the file panels
it starts with the dirs from both panels as everyone expects.
Starting with current paths is not everything in the world. Comparing directories right in the panels has advantage of allowing access to the whole set of TC instruments, not only view and compare files, but also edit, copy/move them, change directory using all the TC ways of navigating instead of an ugly Explorer "Select Dir" dialog, connect to FTP and upload selected files there, use FS plugins… You can continue the list for me — and what's best is all these tools are as quickly and easily accessible as ever, no need to click those arrows, separately delete files after copying them to implement the "Move" functionality, and so on, and so forth.

What I'm trying to say is, it's much better to work within usual TC file panels than within SyncDirs dialog. And if TC allowed to use its main interface for more cases than now, it would be a very nice feature.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The suggestion is to improve the directory comparison function by displaying a dialog where user will select checkboxes for comparison criteria, that is, what TC should take into account: date/time of the files, or its presence/absence, or the file size, etc., or any combination of them. I drew a simple mock-up for how this dialog might look like:
http://flint-inc.ru/Temp/tcbeta90/compare_dirs_dlg_mock_up.png
I like this proposal - suport++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Lefteous,
For many professional users* this means fast searches in their Windows and Program Files folders.
Why the artificial limitation? I can search all of my external disks this way.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
I like your proposal, too.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Horst.Epp
But the current Everything version contains all for this needs.
You can add folder indexing on non NTFS volumes and file lists for very special needs.
Ghisler has stated that he isn't going to use this possibilites of Everything.
Also there is an ETP and HTTP server feature which even allows to search complete remote Windows file systems.
Yes I know but that only works on Windows systems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2Hacker
Why the artificial limitation? I can search all of my external disks this way.
You can search you network storages using Everything in a performant way?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The idea of "Compare directories" is that it's a very simple function for a common case. If you need more options, you can use the sync function.
Ghisler has stated that he isn't going to use this possibilites of Everything.
Actually I am supporting this when the root is either a drive (e.g. d:\) or a share (e.g. \\server\share) or a server (e.g. \\server). TC first makes a query whether a root is indexed, and if yes, it will make a query for the search results. There doesn't seem to be a way to query everything whether a specific _folder_ is indexed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The idea of "Compare directories" is that it's a very simple function for a common case. If you need more options, you can use the sync function.
That's what the problem is: if you meed more options, you have to use SyncDirs, not "can use". There's just no way to perform custom comparison which would simply select files for doing something with them in TC file panels, and SyncDirs does not provide all the TC functions, but only a very minor subset of them.

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Actually I am supporting this when the root is either a drive (e.g. d:\) or a share (e.g. \\server\share) or a server (e.g. \\server). TC first makes a query whether a root is indexed, and if yes, it will make a query for the search results. There doesn't seem to be a way to query everything whether a specific _folder_ is indexed.
I guess we should just wait now and see it when it's in a testable state.

2Flint
That's what the problem is: if you meed more options, you have to use SyncDirs, not "can use". There's just no way to perform custom comparison which would simply select files for doing something with them in TC file panels.
Difficult to say to what the best solution would be. A complete file sync in the main window would enable all kind of operations. Adding more functions in file sync would be the other way.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I guess we should just wait now and see it when it's in a testable state.
Indeed, there is always the possibility to add more during the beta test.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Lefteous,
You can search you network storages using Everything in a performant way?
No, as I said, my external hard disks.

Roman
yuyuki

Checking update

Post by *yuyuki »

Hi everyone,

For me, a good new feature can be the integration of
"Checking new version..." and purpose an update.

Have a good day,

YuYuKi
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Checking update

Post by *ZoSTeR »

yuyuki wrote:For me, a good new feature can be the integration of
"Checking new version..." and purpose an update.
That one made my day.