Windows 10 64bit - Ultra TC editor MSCOMCTL.OCX issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

josephlo

Windows 10 64bit - Ultra TC editor MSCOMCTL.OCX issue

Post by *josephlo »

Hi,

I have 2 Windows 10 machines...both are newly installed with the latest Windows 10 64bit TH2 1511 and on both of these PCs, Ultra TC editor will not launched as it complains a missing MSCOMCTL.OCX.

On my other Windows 7 64bit PC, Ultra TC works well no issues there.

Could someone please advise what should I do with the MSCOMCTL.OCX issue on my windows 10 64bit boxes?

Many thanks
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi,
that is a common problem on new computers. New Windows versions do not contain old Visual Basic libraries, they need to be installed.
If you just copy Ultra TC there, they won't work. But if I'm not mistaken, their installer should contain the required libraries. I would try to install it.

Sorry, but I don't have access to Win 10 right now, so I can't verify that. But if it doesn't work, you need to download the libraries manually from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019 and run the installer. And then, you will probably also need to follow this procedure (see answer): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/component-mscomctlocx-or-one-of-its-dependencies/4ae4dfc4-4a67-4927-990e-489cdb070efb?db=5&auth=1.
The reason is that Microsoft doesn't really care about VB6 anymore and provides only the most basic support.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
josephlo

Post by *josephlo »

umbra wrote:Hi,
that is a common problem on new computers. New Windows versions do not contain old Visual Basic libraries, they need to be installed.
If you just copy Ultra TC there, they won't work. But if I'm not mistaken, their installer should contain the required libraries. I would try to install it.

Sorry, but I don't have access to Win 10 right now, so I can't verify that. But if it doesn't work, you need to download the libraries manually from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019 and run the installer. And then, you will probably also need to follow this procedure (see answer): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/component-mscomctlocx-or-one-of-its-dependencies/4ae4dfc4-4a67-4927-990e-489cdb070efb?db=5&auth=1.
The reason is that Microsoft doesn't really care about VB6 anymore and provides only the most basic support.
Many thanks umbra. I have double checked TC Ultra's rar file and there are no MSCOMCTL.OCX file within the archive so I think I need to install this manually.

I will install this based on the info you gave me earlier and will report back if this works.

Thanks again.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2josephlo
Go to download page and download the setup installer, it should fix the problem.

I have tested Ultra TC Editors under Windows 10 64x, it is work perfectly.
josephlo

Post by *josephlo »

ts4242 wrote:2josephlo
Go to download page and download the setup installer, it should fix the problem.

I have tested Ultra TC Editors under Windows 10 64x, it is work perfectly.
Thanks for that.

Before replying your post, I have tried to install the Visual Basic libraries as suggested and tried it on 2 Windows 10 PCs and could get neither one to work with Ultra TC.

With your latest post, I have now tried the Setup Installer that you have suggested and clicking Setup.exe will cause the "Setup Boostrap for Visual Basic Setup Toolkit" to run but it will says "Setup Bootstrap for Visual Basic Setup toolkit has stopped working"....and this happens to my main windows 10 desktop and my new Surface pro 4.

Not sure why it is working on your Win10 and not working on mine :(
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

I didn't test on Surface Pro but on Desktop using Windows 10 Pro version 1511 (Build 10586.0)

Is your main windows 10 desktop Pro or Home?
josephlo

Post by *josephlo »

ts4242 wrote:I didn't test on Surface Pro but on Desktop using Windows 10 Pro version 1511 (Build 10586.0)

Is your main windows 10 desktop Pro or Home?
Hi again. My desktop is Win10 Pro 64bit version 1511 (OS build 10586.36). The Surface pro 4 is also a win10 Pro 64bit version 1511.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Sorry, I tried to find out what causes that but can't find any thing useful

Anyway, try to register mscomctl.ocx manually
1- Extract mscomctl.ocx from the setup to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
2- Start cmd.exe As Administrator
3- Execute Regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mscomctl.ocx
josephlo

Post by *josephlo »

ts4242 wrote:Sorry, I tried to find out what causes that but can't find any thing useful

Anyway, try to register mscomctl.ocx manually
1- Extract mscomctl.ocx from the setup to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
2- Start cmd.exe As Administrator
3- Execute Regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mscomctl.ocx
You are the man. That works like a charm!

Thank you!!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2josephlo
You are welcome!
Phred

No Luck

Post by *Phred »

[after 20 minutes I found this one thread on UTCE621's crashing*]

Dear me; josephlo has had more luck than I'm having. I've done everything listed above, with apparent success along the way, but the 'Setup Bootstrap for VB has failed ...etc' message appears repeatedly.

Extracted Mscomctl.ocx to syswow64 [sic] ...etc; as admin ...etc; Regsvr ...etc.
(I notice that the date on the ocx is 1998. Rather old.)
I've even rebooted my new i7, 8GB, SSD/M.2+1TB HDD, Win10Pro machine, logged on ..'Signed In' as a local administrator, and tried again. Same failure.

Any more recent thoughts, ts4242?

Before I close, here are some better, revised, instructions as to what to do.**

[revision]
Anyway, try to register mscomctl.ocx manually in Windows 10
As an administrator:
1 - Look inside the ultra_tc_editors_621_setup.rar file you downloaded (you can use TC itself for that by pressing Enter on the file)
2 - Still using TC, look inside the Ultra TC Editors.cab file (using TC: press Enter, again, on that file)
3 - Copy (F5) mscomctl.ocx from inside the Ultra TC Editors.cab file to C:\Windows\syswow64
4 - Go up two folder levels in TC to close the .rar file gracefully (Ctrl PgUp twice)
5 - Start Command Prompt (still as an administrator, of course)(Start menu; type cmd, right-click on Command Prompt; choose Run as administrator)
6 - Execute Regsvr32 C:\Windows\syswow64\mscomctl.ocx (Copy & Paste is now possible. Copy that bold instruction and paste it into the Command Prompt window. Press Enter to run it. Check for success. Type exit and press Enter, or click the customary X, above right.)
7 - If you haven't done so already, copy all the contents of the ultra_tc_editors_621_setup.rar file to a new folder in your Downloads folder (using TC, of course)
8 - Try running UTCE's setup.exe program again.
[end revision]

HTH

*This thread really isn't the right place for an UTCE wiki, is it?
**You developer dudes who always run as administrators continually forget the increasing number of people who run as Standard Users (..often even refusing to put shortcuts in users' own Start Menus). Please remember: we're NOT all administrators, these days.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Phred

Download from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=10019, it is contain the latest mscomctl.ocx (version 6.1.97.68 date 15/4/2005)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, don't miss the latest security patch, updating mscomctl.ocx (version 6.1.98.46 date 12/9/2015) :
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Security Rollup Update (KB3096896)
#5767 Personal license
Phred

Thanks, but

Post by *Phred »

Thanks, gentlemen, but no luck.
I've tried following my nose, and beyond, but there's an obstacle in the way. All from an admin account, btw - on a one-week-old Win10 machine; updates allowed.

First, ts4242, you've included a comma in the URL you gave me.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=10019 works.

sqa_wizard, VB60SP6-KB3096896-x86-ENU.msi won't install without VB6 being extant already. It's hard to find these days.

After http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Articles/VB60/VisualStudio6Installer/tabid/93/language/en-US/Default.aspx demanded that I register on their site for VS6 Installer 4.5, I grabbed VB6 Runtime from Sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/?source=typ_redirect
There were many components; I had read that the Direct Access part caused hanging :| so I excluded it.

FortyPoundHead tried to explain things, but included no download. More talk about VS6.
http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=23993

I even got Vs6sp6B-'unpack-to'.exe from somewhere. [name modified]

The instructions on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/comctl32ocx-file-missinginvalid-for-windows-10/0d515059-0397-4b72-a39b-120a7be9604 ... plies#tabs
...are unintelligible - first it talks about extracting Comctl32.OCX - but then it says to register Comdlg32.OCX - 32 or 64 bitwise dependent.
All the while, I read that VB6 is strictly 32-bit. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

Surely there's an easier way to install UTCEs in 2016?
Otherwise, I have to declare it dead in the water. :(
Thx.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Phred

I don't know why this happen with you, i have installed UTCE many times in Windows 10 without any problems, it is even enough to copy mscomctl.ocx to System32 folder (or SysWOW64 for x64 Windows) and Windows will auto register it.

If you want to use mscomctl.ocx 6.1.98.46 (provided with sqa_wizard's link:
1- Download the package
2- Run command prompt as admin
3- Execute msiexec /a full\path\to\MSI\file /qb TARGETDIR=full\path\to\target\folder
4- You will find mscomctl.ocx in a folder named SYSTEM inside the specified target folder
5- Copy extracted mscomctl.ocx to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I hope this fix your problem