Renaming while running - lister and files operations

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

totfun

Renaming while running - lister and files operations

Post by *totfun »

Hello to everybody. Excuse me for my English. Total commander is wonderful as it is. Just to propose something, I try to explain 2 little wishes: 1) Sometimes I need (or more exactly I have the convenience) to rename a video (audio) file when I'm watching (listening) it (for example with lister - CTRL-Q) . Is there a way to do this bypassing the "error: cannot read…" problem? It can be usefull, for example, a default option or/and something with a dialog like this: “TC cannot rename it now because it is in use....rename it as soon as possible? Yes, no, always yes…” “Soon as possible” can be, for example, in “CTRL-Q” mode, when you move the cursor on the next file. 2) I'd wish that, when lister (in "CTRL-Q" mode or in a new option) is playing an audio file, it does not occupy (visually) target directory: This is convenient (especially but not only) when you want to give a fast listening to an audio file continuing, without loosing a window, some files operations. If somebody needs the play/pause button it can be an option or/and it can appear (smaller) as ftp bar or command line appear. For video files (in "CTRL-Q" mode or in a different named and/or built option), I’d appreciate very much a "background view", in the same or in the target directory, just under files list or, if this is not possible, in a very small view box up in a corner (not in the files windows).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

#1 - I am not sure this is doable - if the file is open in another application, say MS Word, how would TC know when the DOC is closed (so it can be renamed)?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
totfun

Post by *totfun »

Hacker,
what you say can generally be true. But If you are in "lister mode" you can think that lister program opened the file so TC can save the text you "laboriously" wrote and when you move down (up) cursor, TC can try to rename previuos file. If something goes wrong, TC notifies you. This new feature can be active as default in lister mode. Among the reasons for this feature: it is relaxing to rename one of the videomusic files you have recorded with TV card, listening and wacthing it and with more possibilities to write the right title and the right singer. TC spoils his users...

TotFun
seb

Post by *seb »

#1 though it sounds pretty unneccessary to have such a feature...
- if its not needed to keep playing that media, just stop it automatically as soon as the rename request arises (if playing with built in lister, or perhaps if external viewer was invoked by TC perhaps it can shut it down too)
- TC could create a to-do-list, best on a filebasis to prevent losing changes when system crashes or something, then keep trying to rename in user-defined-intervals, perhaps 10secs for default ... until its done

seb
totfun

Post by *totfun »

...pretty unnecessary...

Untitled0001....0008 are your recorded karaoke performances, your school recorded lessons, your ripped cda tracks. Just while you are re-listening each of them is the the best time to rename it with the appropriate name (...or sign it for deleting). Just while you are listening an mp3 file can be the right moment to correct or modify his name. Just when you are giving a look to an untitled video file you can decide how to call it. It is possible but it is not comfortable to watch the next and rename the previous.

TotFun
seb

Post by *seb »

yeah well, perhaps it wasnt the best term to use, sorry ;)

ok then if it should be the rename as soon as file is free-from-use make a more general thread out of that and also create tasks to delete a file once its not in use anymore, i had this phenomena once in a while when working with multiple proggies, though i seem to have closed every task possibly working on the specific file, os hasnt recognised it and wont let me delete that file and according the whole dir i was supposed to delete...
so please put 'rename' AND 'delete' in your list for first to-do-list-feature-test

seb
totfun

Post by *totfun »

No problem, seb. Rather, re-reading my post I feel it can sound touchy. Excuse me.
totfun

Post by *totfun »

seb, I' m new in this forum, as you can see. Can you tell me more about to-do-list feature? For everybody, I'd specify this: When I say no play/pause button in target dir for audio files in lister mode, I mean "audio status" is applied to 1 window only and so you can still browsing the other window without influencing current playing file. Lister status for audio files could be notified, when active, with a small icon, for example, in the status bar. In this or in a similar way, you can almost normally use TC but when the cursor is on an audio file (in the active window for this feature) you can listen it.

TotFun
seb

Post by *seb »

well to-do-list is just the name i gave this feature we are talking about, TC makes himself (herself?;)) a list with stuff what to do when possible, i.e. delete or rename a file as soon as its not in use anymore
or more things if the users think of any other possibilities

seb
seb

Post by *seb »

just thought of some other thing:
temporary deflated file should get autodeleted too when they are not in use anymore
seems to me like TC lets them stay for some secs and then deletes them, i'd like to have a higher value like 1200secs so please make this value a ini-definable, furthermore please add those files to the to-do list with a datetime on which they should get deleted so they get deleted later even if i close my current TC
on the next startup TC looks at his to-do-list and if there are files which exceed the given datetime it auto-deletes them ( if not in use ;) )

this way you can even skip the annoying, "there are temporary files, do you really want to quit now"- messie

seb