Serial cable support !! (Connection of 2 PC)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

smitlik

Serial cable support !! (Connection of 2 PC)

Post by *smitlik »

Your TCMD is excellent utility for me, but I miss the only one think: SERIAL CABLE CONNECTION - as in old good Norton Commander, FastLynx, Laplink and others. I agree, that it's too slow at present, but the cable is wide common, could be longer than a parallel cable and for synchronization of little files with notebook coud be sufficient. Is this ability possile to add to TCMD by any plug-in ?
And for faster... what about USB ?

Thanks, Joe Smitlik
Smitlik
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Serial: You can use the functions of the operating system (direct cable connection).

USB: You need a cable which emulates a small network. Such cables are usually labeled as supporting the Internet protocol or TCP/IP. Please note that cheap cables only work with the program which comes with them.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Cybermedia

USB

Post by *Cybermedia »

Does it mean that there is no universal driver for all cables? Wouldn't it be nice to incorporate it as a plugin into tcm?
Last edited by Cybermedia on 2003-05-23, 09:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Does it mean that there is no universal driver for all cables?

Yes.

Wouldn't it be nice to incorporate it as a plugin into tcm?

It would (if possible).

:)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Wouldn't it be nice to incorporate it as a plugin into tcm?
Of course it would! Unfortunately there seems to be not a single USB connection cable with programming documentation! If anyone knows such a cable, let me know!

The alternative would be to build our own cable using a custom chip, but this would be very expensive. Since a good alternative exists (cables which emulate a network), we will not develop our own cable.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com