Split and Combine Files in TC5.51

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

joebananas

Split and Combine Files in TC5.51

Post by *joebananas »

I have a 1.5gb file that I've split using the 700CDR size setting. TC created 4 files, myfile.001, myfile.002, myfile.003, myfile.crc.

I then wrote three CDs. The 001 and 002 files were on two seperate disks and the 003 and crc file were on the third disk.

When I try to combine them again. I put in the first disk and select combine. TC says it's going to create a myfile.out and it begins reading the CD. When it finishes it asks me for the next disk. I insert the second disk and it begins reading again. When it finishes with the second disk it says the myfile.out was created successfully and there's is no crc file but it never asked me for the third disk.

Is this a bug? Also, why can't a select a custom size to split on?
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

I didn't test it, but I think the crc-file has to be on all disks to let TC know how big the file would be. You can avoid this by copying all files to one directory and combine them from your harddrive.

BTW: You can enter a custom size (in bytes) in the selection dialog.

~ Florian
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Split and Combine Files in TC5.51

Post by *Valentino »

joebananas wrote:Is this a bug?
Seems yes...
joebananas wrote:Also, why can't a select a custom size to split on?
As fnheiden already noted (was faster than me :)), you can. Just type the desired size in bytes, kilobytes (add k at the and) or megabytes (add m at the and) in the "Bytes per file" field. Don't know if you can type gigabytes - don't want to test...
Yes, this field looks like combobox (drop-down list) but you can also type there.
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

I'm not accustomed with splitting and recombinig files, but I remember (!) that under DOS, when you had to restore files from several diskettes, you had to insert the last diskette first...
Benoît
# 4081
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

Valentino
Thanks for the k (kilobytes) and m (megabytes) tips - I wasn't aware of that. :)

~ Florian
joebananas

Post by *joebananas »

Thanks for the quick responses.

I made new cd's with the crc file on all the disks and that worked correctly. It seems like the crc file doesn't have to be on all the disks but maybe just the first and last. Last alone doesn't work.

I realize I could copy all the files onto the machine and combine them from there but I didn't want to. Space restrictions

I tried inserting the last disk first before I posted but that didn't work.

I didn't realize I could just type the size into the combo box and have it use that size but it worked very well. KB and MB work but not GB so I just used 1000mb and that worked.

Thanks again to all.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-03-2003 21:34:20 +0000 joebananas wrote:

j> so I just used 1000mb and that worked

"What is the difference between lammaz and programmaz?
Lammaz are quite sure one kilobyte equals to 1000 bites and programmaz are fully confident one kilometer equals to 1024 meters."
Nothing personal Joe, just plunged... :)[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

joebananas wrote:It seems like the crc file doesn't have to be on all the disks but maybe just the first and last. Last alone doesn't work.
And first alone?

Christian, what about adding a text like "(you can type any size here)" to the right of "Bytes per file" combobox? IIRC, this was suggested some time ago. Quite reasonable and will avoid us from such questions in future. Somebody from time to time asks the same question.
BTW, there's nothing about "k" and "m" possibilities in the manual for Split dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

First alone should be sufficient, then you can double click the CRC file to extract all parts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:then you can double click the CRC file to extract all parts.
When I created the following keys in the registry to set an icon for crc files, this feature stopped working.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.crc]
@="CRCFile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CRCFile]
@="Some name"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CRCFile\DefaultIcon]
@="icons.dll,1"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed when there is an association for .crc, the internal reaction to ENTER is turned off. It doesn't matter whether this association actually points to a program or not...
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2ghisler(Author)
So I have to choose between Convenience and Beauty...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry, yes.