Change .EXIF dates with TC using the .EXIF plugin?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yetanotherlogin

Post by *yetanotherlogin »

Hello,

I need to find a way to rewrite the date/time after copying files from a cheap Canon compact camera that uses MTP. For some reason, and unlike other cameras I had, Windows doesn't preserve the original date/time.

Thankfully, the original infos are still available in the Exif data within files.

I followed the instructions above to use the JPG Comment plug-in (2.3.5.0, 32-bits), but the date/time doesn't change, whether I mark whole directories or a single file:

Image: https://s15.postimg.cc/nzczzt16j/TC.JPG

Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Thank you.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Plugin: tc
Property: writedate
Value: [=jpg-comment.DateTimeOriginal]
yetanotherlogin

Thanks mucho.

Does it mean we no longer need the JPG Comment plug-in because this feature has been merged into TC?

Image: https://s15.postimg.cc/67tkgajcb/Total_Commande.JPG
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Does it mean we no longer need the JPG Comment plug-in because this feature has been merged into TC?
NO - The internal tc-"plugin" provides access to the writedate property, but the value is provided by the jpg-comment plugin - Click on the [+] button and you will see that.
Last edited by petermad on 2018-06-03, 16:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the info.
Phred

Re:

Post by *Phred »

solid wrote: 2018-01-29, 14:29 UTC
asdfagasd wrote:Hey Phred,

Which of the programs you recommend can do change many exif dates all at the same time?
You can use XNViewMP. It has EXIF date changing capabilities, to current time, by absolute date/time or by offset of any readable date/time. Also has preview of the new date/time values. Works on single or multiple selected files at once.
solid, I had a look at your comment again but I couldn't find anywhere that XnViewMP could change Exif data.
I can see how under Tools, Metadata, IPTC and XMP ...
[UPDATE]
I find that the Change Exif routine is under (in the thumbnail browser) Tools, Change timestamp ..., and seems quite comprehensive, too. Thx.
I notice that Photo Gallery uses a different date compared to the Exif data. I remember reading that P/G data has it's roots in Windows XP Properties and that seems to be its focus with less recognition to Exif data blocks. Maybe it's in its own sidecar database..
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.